Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to have my new PI Dual this week... It seems to have a really cool feature of belt loops on the box... I will be using a straight shaft. Question is, with the "floatiness" of the coil that so many speak of, would wearing the box on your belt and simply having the coil on the straight shaft cause the coil to want to float even more??
It would really be nice to take the weight off and just have a coil to swing, but I am afraid the coil would be even more buoyant..

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant believe that no one posted on this question... Maybe I am on too many folk's "Ignore" list.. LOL...
I ended up putting a long straight shaft on my PI, and it works really well.. I still may have to try the belt mode though...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve I haven't use the Dual Field in the water but it has the same coil as the BHID 300 that is filled with foam instead of resin. The BHID while belt mounted the coil would float at the surface and this annoyed me to no end. However many guys don't think this is a problem and you can always add a sand filled sock to the coil to keep it down if it bothers you. It is however great to have a light weight coil for the above water hunting and since most of the hunters don't go in the water this might be why White's went with this coil. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not "Steve" Sandman, but thanks for responding.. Now that I have it, you are spot on.. Even though the control box is not that heavy, and weight on the shaft to help counteract that floater is a plus... I have found that the long straight shaft I am using helps also, but it still floats if let go.. But you are very right, when I went back to wet sand, I am glad it was lighter.. Good compromise I think..
I dont find the "floatiness" of the coil bad at all in calm water, especially freshwater, but dayum, when that surf is mean (like it was yesterday, too dam rough), and in the salt, it was really hard to control, and my forearms are paying for the effort today..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where I got Steve from, sorry.... :icon_scratch:

The salt water surf really can wear you out chasing this coil and that is the time to hit the above water sand cause you can't keep your balance anyway.

Seaweednh

Feb 3, 2007
Newbury, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I don't know where I got Steve from, sorry.... :icon_scratch:

The salt water surf really can wear you out chasing this coil and that is the time to hit the above water sand cause you can't keep your balance anyway.

I have all I can do to keep my balance with the 10" on the Excalibur. I did however just buy a new straight shaft that will fit my Excalibur, Sovereign AND the Dual Field and under $100 including shipping. I tried it out yesterday with the Excalibur and it is SO much better than the stock shaft. I hope to try it out tomorrow with the Dual Field.

gee_mg

Aug 23, 2012
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster P.I. Dual Field; Minelab Sovereign GT; CTX 3030; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just an idea but when i am doing the wet sand i put the control box in a small backpack. Seems to work rather well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread