What's new

Pick the winner.

JD-GA

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
467
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
So which is silver? Coin on the left is coin A, middle is coin B and on the right is coin C.

20100224004-1.jpg
 
Upvote 0
All are..40%ers
 
Hope the hat taste better than how i felt when i saw coin b's rim in a roll of clad only to find it wasnt haha. Here they are in the same order A - C left to right just like the picture above.

20100224005-1.jpg


Cleary coin A was burnt or stained and that happens. Coin B really threw me for a loop. It was the first roll of a box and i was stoked that the first roll had silver. I mean it was a no question silver rim until i saw the date. The whole box ended up a skunk. Then coin C has an obvious clad rim yet was very shiny front and back. I always check the dates. Have been fooled 7 times this week alone.
 
I always check the dates. Coin C is surprising. Rotating them around helps alot espceially on the really worn or dirty coins. I don't do heavy volume so I can take the extra time.
 
Yeah coin C you can rotate all ya want. It appears mostly copper 360 degrees of the rim. Coin b looks like silver in a roll from 15 feet away yet isnt. I drop tested it, flipped it, even looked it up on the internet to see if they made any type silver in that year. Very confusing.
 
silver from a "s" proof set?
 
Was '72 one of the years that some of the "s" proof coins had no "s"?
 
The 72 makes absolutely no discerning sounds against a table or another coin or in the air flipping. There is no mint mark though.

Fistfull--did they really plate a non mint mark in that year?
 
JD-GA said:
The 72 makes absolutely no discerning sounds against a table or another coin or in the air flipping. There is no mint mark though.

Fistfull--did they really plate a non mint mark in that year?
JD, not plated by the mint, plated by a consumer. I have found gold-plated, chrome-plated, annodized, and everything in between. My coolest find was a chrome-plated 1964 Roosevelt dime. At first glance I thought it was a proof coin. ffd
 
2Cents said:
I always check the dates. Coin C is surprising. Rotating them around helps alot espceially on the really worn or dirty coins. I don't do heavy volume so I can take the extra time.

I was actually guessing A and C, but I was too late to put in a guess as the answer as was already available.

Coin C looks like one that spent quite a while in a casino. I have a few of them from the casino that look just like that one. I am not sure if its just so worn down that it is showing the non-silver from within or if it is from rubbing against so many other clad coins and taking some from them.

My guess is its from within as only 40% halves I have found at casinos have had this look, 90% halves have not.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom