picked up a weird rock with my metal detector, help??

adamhartzke

Greenie
Jul 28, 2013
Owasso
Detector(s) used
Ground efx 100 swarm series, garrett handheld pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
i use a ground efx 100 swarm series, and had it set to only pick up jewelry and coins, we were hunting on bird creek in owasso chasing a old civil war legend and it started going off saying "quarter, nickel, and zinc" i got excited thinking i had found some really old jewelry, the area we were searching is where owasso was originally settled in the 1800's. i dug about a foot down and found this. i hit it with the metal detector and it rang up exactly what was on my screen before we dug. there was little rust around the edges, but the rest was highly shiny. its not lead, it isnt heavy enough, we hit it with a blow torch and it didnt melt or really burn, so its not aluminum or sauter, were stumped...... any ideas??????? IMAG1348.jpg

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The color is off, so I can't be sure, but it appears to be a piece of hematite, an oxide of iron. It might (?) of come from a meteorite, but I sort of doubt it as it doesn't look like anything I've seen.

Interesting, however, are nickel meteorites. Most detectors won't detect them (although a pulse unit usually will), but they stick to a magnet. This is why I ALWAYS carry neodymium magnet with me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adamhartzke

Greenie
Jul 28, 2013
Owasso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
we checked it further and got the dirt out of it, its a clump of melted down metal, the rusted parts are folded we found more buried there, were just stumped because it isnt rusted at all. pretty sure we hit an early 1900's trash site, lol. i just wanna know what kind of metal it is :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adamhartzke

Greenie
Jul 28, 2013
Owasso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
and it isnt magnetic at all

Upvote 0

osage express

Oct 22, 2012
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236-x2 --Whites TM808---Whites Bullseye 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you Around the old Luther Barnes black smith shop.if so It may be some kind of slag.Look for a rock outcropping over the creek.Good luck And welcome to Tnet

Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Looks like aluminum cans after being thrown in a fire to me. If you just hit it with a propane torch, you probably didn't heat it enough to melt.

Upvote 0

donb0078

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
atm, whites sl II classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you really want to know send it off to your state geologist with return postage and they will ID it for you at least they do here in OH, would check with magnet though.
Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not saying it is, but for some reason coal will sound out on my AT Pro. I have run into your rock's cousins here on the East Coast.

Upvote 0

Dogtirednj

Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coal sets off my DFX as well. It's been making me more than a little crazy at this PA homestead I've been hunting.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slag.There are so many of similar bits of metal around where an old smelter used to be located you can't even use your metal detector as it continually sounds off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adamhartzke

Greenie
Jul 28, 2013
Owasso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting