What's new

PICS ADDED - someone with Tices book - First CW button!

Kevo_DFX

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
567
Reaction score
135
Golden Thread
0
Location
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
PICS ADDED - someone with Tice's book - First CW button!

Hi all,

Girlfriend is home from shopping so I'm adding pictures. However, I found a PA state seal button, my first CW button! It is:

Three piece,
Plenty of gold gild left
Horstmann & ALLIEN NY backmark.

What's weird is that from what I can find on the net, TICE does not list that backmark with the PA state seal buttons? So, if anyone has a moment, could you check out the PA203 buttons and see if it is listed? I'm pretty excited.

Also found what I *think* is a Tombac. Also found only two coins, one was an 1877 CC Seated dime, the other a no-date SLQ.

Here's the PA Militia button: The back was separated from the front, both pieces found in the same hole. I posted a pic of the reverse of the back, because it is much easier to read the mark:
PACW.jpg

PACWbackmark.jpg

PACWbackmarkback.jpg


Second button: is this a Tombac? If so, when was it likely used? I've never found one before.
Tombacfront.jpg

dombackback.jpg


Thanks!
Kevo
 
Re: Need help - someone with Tice's book - First CW button!

First things first. Call your girlfriend and ask her why she needs a camera while shopping. Then rush her back home cuz WE WANNA SEE THOSE PICS!! ;D
I'll be waiting.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need help - someone with Tice's book - First CW button!

Sounds like something my wife would do..... :P Look forward to seeing the pics.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need help - someone with Tice's book - First CW button!

Wish I could help...have Alberts...not Tices. I guess they don't cross reference because there isn't a PA203...now there is a PA23 but it doesn't give reference to the maker. Can't wait to see a pic.
 
Upvote 0
Re: PICS ADDED - someone with Tice's book - First CW button!

Tice lists a PA203a2 that has the HORSTMANN & ALLIEN / N.Y. backmark.
Looks to me like you found a great CW period button. Congrats!
 
Upvote 0
Re: PICS ADDED - someone with Tice's book - First CW button!

Thanks Centerhit, that is a huge help.

Anyone on the last button? Is it a Tombac?
 
Upvote 0
Re: PICS ADDED - someone with Tice's book - First CW button!

Kevo_DFX said:
Anyone on the last button? Is it a Tombac?


:thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: PICS ADDED - someone with Tice's book - First CW button!

A nice button. It is definitely civil war. That particular Horstmann & Allien marks dates 1860 to 1865. The tombac dates in the late 1700's.
Not to make anyone mad but that link everyone one goes to is way to general. There are a lot of variations on different backmarks that is doesn't cover. It's ok for a general idea but I would ever try to date a button by it. Sorry
 
Upvote 0
Re: PICS ADDED - someone with Tice's book - First CW button!

vayank54 said:
Not to make anyone mad but that link everyone one goes to is way to general. There are a lot of variations on different backmarks that is doesn't cover.


Just like the red book on many coins! See it happen all the time.
 
Upvote 0
Re: PICS ADDED - someone with Tice's book - First CW button!

vayank54 said:
Not to make anyone mad but that link everyone one goes to is way to general. There are a lot of variations on different backmarks that is doesn't cover. It's ok for a general idea but I would ever try to date a button by it. Sorry
I dont know if anyone else noticed but it also mispells Waterbury (WATURBURY) and the funny thing several other links have copied the mistake. :D
http://www.treasurefish.com/buttonback.htm
http://www.google.com/search?q=butt...ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_en

Other than not mentioning the date variations, the link checks out fairly well. But as you have pointed out, it can only be used as a starting point. It has no pictures to show the variations.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom