What's new

Picture of the 90% Kenn I missed by Rim Search

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
1,402
Reaction score
118
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AS per Rich here is the picture

DW
 

Attachments

  • Missed 90% Kenn.webp
    Missed 90% Kenn.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 545
  • Missed 90% Kenn.webp
    Missed 90% Kenn.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 523
Upvote 0
I don't think I would have missed that one. But I've gotten very good at knowing which rims are silver, even if they kind of look clad. I always spot them even before I date search them.
 
Well, I think it comes from experience.

DW
 
I would have at least suspected a 40%. But hey I've done many thousand dollars worth of rolls.

OWS
 
When it comes to halves I rely more on the sound of the coins while searching than looking at the rim. Open the roll and drop them into my hand and listen for the sound of silver.
 
Darth Walker said:
AS per Rich here is the picture

DW

Thanks Darth for posting that picture. I would not have missed that coin,but then I search a lot of halves.
One does have to be on the lookout while edge searching with some of the 40% coins. I've run across several that have a copper/pinkish edge that could easily be mistaken for clad.
Who knows how many of these I missed when I first started CRH?
HH
Rich
 
SnakemanBill said:
When it comes to halves I rely more on the sound of the coins while searching than looking at the rim. Open the roll and drop them into my hand and listen for the sound of silver.

Yep, snakeman, sound is the best way. I have had 1k bags where I can just stir them around in the bag without seeing them and know there is silver in there. My wife cherrypicked my last bag I got so I went back after pouring in what she had pulled out and heard silver going back into the bag. Did the rim/drop search and found 6 more.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
SnakemanBill said:
When it comes to halves I rely more on the sound of the coins while searching than looking at the rim. Open the roll and drop them into my hand and listen for the sound of silver.

Yep, snakeman, sound is the best way. I have had 1k bags where I can just stir them around in the bag without seeing them and know there is silver in there. My wife cherrypicked my last bag I got so I went back after pouring in what she had pulled out and heard silver going back into the bag. Did the rim/drop search and found 6 more.
Take care of your hearing guys. I am only 25 and have already lost enough hearing that I can not distinguish the sound of silver. It is a real bummer when i read threads like this. :(
 
midnight run said:
AGCoinHunter said:
SnakemanBill said:
When it comes to halves I rely more on the sound of the coins while searching than looking at the rim. Open the roll and drop them into my hand and listen for the sound of silver.

Yep, snakeman, sound is the best way. I have had 1k bags where I can just stir them around in the bag without seeing them and know there is silver in there. My wife cherrypicked my last bag I got so I went back after pouring in what she had pulled out and heard silver going back into the bag. Did the rim/drop search and found 6 more.
Take care of your hearing guys. I am only 25 and have already lost enough hearing that I can not distinguish the sound of silver. It is a real bummer when i read threads like this. :(

Sorry to hear that MR. I cant say that I was very kind to my hearing as a teenager and I am sure I have some hearing loss. I know for sure I turn on my selective hearing when my wife starts in on me about something. :) I notice more and more people with Ipods walking aimlessly around with their ear buds going full blast. We are going to have multiple generation of deaf people spawned from these things.
 
all i do is rimsearch and i don't feel that i have missed any. i would have at least suspected a 40 and eyeballed that coin to check. most coins that i see like that end up being a 71. like i said i edgesearch and check anything that is suspicious
 
I've seen 40%ers that you would have never even known were silver unless you either dropped it and heard it, or looked at the date. Sometimes they look exaclty like a clad rim, but the copperish part look slightly lighter in color. I've seen other ones that have had a reddish tone on the rim and they were silver. It doesn't hurt to date search, takes longer though. If your searching thousands of dollars worth every other day, it probobly would make sense to just rim search. But you can also find clad proofs, and errors by date searching. To each his own method.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom