Pile of gold dirt in mexico

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all, I know next to nothing about processing gold-bearing dirt except what I have watched on "gold rush". I am in contact with someone in Mexico who used to be a geologist and advisor for mining companies there and knows of a pile that someone is trying to sell. This pile is apparently around 500 tons and according to the 4 assays done so far, they came back as 80,88,29 and 5 grams per ton.

Now I will obviously do my own assays but as I know nothing about Mexico and processing I assume the easiest way to get this done is to truck it to a mill which I also assume will take a cut for processing.

So I want to ask if anyone has any advice or knowledge of how to go about this or knows of anything around Sonora that can help. I know there is a mill close by but I can't seem to contact them but can visit them in person when I am in country.

If there is a better place to ask let me know.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Lefty2u

Dec 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I know next to nothing about processing gold-bearing dirt except what I have watched on "gold rush". I am in contact with someone in Mexico who used to be a geologist and advisor for mining companies there and knows of a pile that someone is trying to sell. This pile is apparently around 500 tons and according to the 4 assays done so far, they came back as 80,88,29 and 5 grams per ton.

Now I will obviously do my own assays but as I know nothing about Mexico and processing I assume the easiest way to get this done is to truck it to a mill which I also assume will take a cut for processing.

So I want to ask if anyone has any advice or knowledge of how to go about this or knows of anything around Sonora that can help. I know there is a mill close by but I can't seem to contact them but can visit them in person when I am in country.

Thanks
Can you speak Spanish? Are you a Mexican citizen? How
much money are you supposed to put up? Do you have
a Mexican mining lawyer to help you with the mining laws
in Mexico? Are you required to have Mexican for a partner? These questions might be of interest or help.
Lefty2u

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you speak Spanish? Are you a Mexican citizen? How
much money are you supposed to put up? Do you have
a Mexican mining lawyer to help you with the mining laws
in Mexico? Are you required to have Mexican for a partner? These questions might be of interest or help.
Lefty2u
All good questions, i do have somone in mexico who is helping me so this stuff is all being worked on but the main problem i have is the best way to process the material.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The process to work this material depends on it's make up . Is it sandy material or rocky or a lot of clay deposits ? There's a different set up for these types of soil's ! Can you have your friend sample pan or inspect the material that is for sale ? I hope there's NOT a bridge for sale in this deal ! It sounds risky to me if your not there to work / inspect it yourself !

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The process to work this material depends on it's make up . Is it sandy material or rocky or a lot of clay deposits ? There's a different set up for these types of soil's ! Can you have your friend sample pan or inspect the material that is for sale ? I hope there's NOT a bridge for sale in this deal ! It sounds risky to me if your not there to work / inspect it yourself !
I have a couple of photos but I would get more info about it before I go there. looks fairly rocky. I can have someone visit the site to get more samples and take photos. I will not be buying the pile outright I will be offering the owner to pay for processing and then we split the profit. The owner is just a farmer apparently and I assume doesn't know anything about mining as the pile has been there for years. These photos are from someone who was interested in this pile years ago and did the assays.

thumbnail.jpg
Untitled-12 (1).jpg

And that's all I have to say about that deal.
Not helpful
You might as well buy it and give it back to the locals.
They will be helping themselves anyway and they know you will need to leave eventually.

You need to live on site in Mexico or youll come back to nothing.
Pile has been there for years there is no access road to it so I doubt many people know about it.

Also not really helpful.

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys, I do value people's opinions but only if there are based on some kind of experience with this stuff. If you aren't able to provide anything constructive for me then just keep scrolling. I just need help with the processing side at the moment.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guys, I do value people's opinions but only if there are based on some kind of experience with this stuff. If you aren't able to provide anything constructive for me then just keep scrolling. I just need help with the processing side at the moment.
You're in Australia it's in Mexico.
You're asking for the readership on how to process.
You're going to need real eyes on this project.
Not just pretty rock pictures over the internet.
Ask yourself is it worth a return airfare, expenses to actually do the due diligence yourself.
If the answer is no, I think you're going to get a tad burnt.
Trusting anything less than what you can touch/read/and your assey is throwing $$$ money to the wind.
Just plain stupid to put it bluntly.
The members that have eluded to trust, and it's risky are telling you something.
If you are hell bent on getting this done-well do it, and the best of luck.
Gold fever has stung many pocket books in the past.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a couple of photos but I would get more info about it before I go there. looks fairly rocky. I can have someone visit the site to get more samples and take photos. I will not be buying the pile outright I will be offering the owner to pay for processing and then we split the profit. The owner is just a farmer apparently and I assume doesn't know anything about mining as the pile has been there for years. These photos are from someone who was interested in this pile years ago and did the assays.

View attachment 2042502 View attachment 2042503

Not helpful

Pile has been there for years there is no access road to it so I doubt many people know about it.

Also not really helpful.
There is some heap leach mine activity in Sonora from what I have read via google. In situ heap leach may(?) be an alternative to transporting and milling. Was that mentioned by your contact?

Good luck.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would be wise to study Mexican mining law.
You seem to think the farmer owns the pile because it's on his land?
Do you know anything about the farmer's ejido or what native communities have exemption rights on the pile?

Weak sauce.

Learn the business before you jump in from 9,000 miles away.

Just the voice of experience. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are already in Australia, one would think you would easily answer your own question by talking to other residents of the country that produces a tremendous amount of Gold already.

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, I get it your all just trying to help. I know It's risky and obviously, I will be onsite before any decent amount of money is spent. All the due diligence and assays will be done also before any decent money is spent.

Maybe I should have been more specific in my Original post but I only posted here to see if there was anyone around who has any experience mining/processing in Mexico.

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck with this.

But this reminds me to be cautious. Unless you can verify the assayer's licensing, and reputation, be very careful. I read a story where someone took the word about the assay, and discovered everything he purchased was a scam. Yes, there was gold, but very little to deserve running the material.

Eldorado USA

Mar 16, 2022
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Thanks
I'm in Southern Mexico and Have a site that has millions of tons of oxidized sulfide ores with an average of 25 grams per tone.

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
W
Good luck with this.

But this reminds me to be cautious. Unless you can verify the assayer's licensing, and reputation, be very careful. I read a story where someone took the word about the assay, and discovered everything he purchased was a scam. Yes, there was gold, but very little to deserve running the material.
Were the people who assayed the material involved in selling the material? Was it not an independent assay?

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
W

Were the people who assayed the material involved in selling the material? Was it not an independent assay?
I can't remember, but I think Yes. Can't even remember when or where I saw or read this. Just wished for you to be cautious, and validate what you are being told. There are scams everywhere in our world. The only way not to fall victim is to ensure you do your homework before you lay out your hard earned money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread