Pin Point Question

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience (over 3 years with the 800 so far) when I pinpoint a coin using the Nox pinpointer I get a quick interconnect signal when I move the coil left/right and I get a longer interconnect signal when I move the coil forward/backward. That would indicate, to me, that the pinpoint signal is more characteristic of the double D “blade” pattern that a conical pattern. I use those two coil movements when I use the Nox pinpointer. The wiggle method is used more often to pinpoint.

Hey Everyone,
Am I correct in that the Nox pin-point function is a conical signal not unlike the concentric coil signal? It's not a DD signal so I don't have to turn 90 degrees when triangulating, right? Thanks!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to turn on the signal to actually pinpoint it.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find that with detectors that have the pinpoint function as a press-on, release-off
I use it more. I rarely use the pinpoint on the Nox or Deus.
Further, I rarely think it’s needed when you do the cross sweep and/or
Wiggle method. 90% of the time my targets are retrieved within a
2” radius of the plug.exceptions are irregular shaped targets.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Everyone,
Am I correct in that the Nox pin-point function is a conical signal not unlike the concentric coil signal? It's not a DD signal so I don't have to turn 90 degrees when triangulating, right? Thanks!

Thats how I think of it also. But there is a use for a 90 degree cross sweep in PP. It helps you determine shape and size. If I hit a piece of rebar, one way it will be a short signal, turning or just sweeping forward and back will tell you if it is coin shaped or long and skinny. Works with shallow non ferrous spikes. Also beer cans.HH

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't normally use the PP feature on most machines but I actually like the one on the Nox, and not just for pinpointing the target but also to further evaluate the target. When in PP mode you'll lose all of the halo effect and you'll be able to get a far more accurate target signature. I'm also frequently switching back and forth between disc mode and the all metal mode for these same reasons, and others. And for me anyway, I also find the Nox PP feature to be extremely accurate.

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In my experience (over 3 years with the 800 so far) when I pinpoint a coin using the Nox pinpointer I get a quick interconnect signal when I move the coil left/right and I get a longer interconnect signal when I move the coil forward/backward. That would indicate, to me, that the pinpoint signal is more characteristic of the double D “blade” pattern that a conical pattern. I use those two coil movements when I use the Nox pinpointer.
Thanks everyone...so Duke, if it's more like the DD imprint shouldn't we move 90 degrees to get two identical readings? Or do you feel not moving and understanding the differences is enough?

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone...so Duke, if it's more like the DD imprint shouldn't we move 90 degrees to get two identical readings? Or do you feel not moving and understanding the differences is enough?

As I stated, when I use the Nox pinpointer I move the coil left and right to nail down the target location in that plane then I move the coil forward and backward to nail the target down in that plane using the audio peak to identify the target center. I can do this pretty quickly and it saves moving my body 90 degrees and possibly having to re-zero in on a small target. Works well for me.
The method I use tells me if the target is something long or something short like a coin vs a chain.
I do agree with comments by others here that the Nox pinpointer is deadly accurate.
Like everything about the Nox, you learn its ins and outs and perfect your methods with time and experience with the machine. We all develop what works best for us over time.
Hope this answers your question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread