Pinpoint Volume way too loud

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett GTA-1000, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why is the pinpoint volume so much louder than the other sounds? I've got the main volume level set to 17 or 18, loud enough to hear faint signals. I'm trying my best to listen for deeper good signals. Everything is fine and dandy until you go to pinpoint something and the pinpoint sound level is very uncomfortable. Of all the sounds, this is one you don't need that loud. Now I have a 600, so I can only adjust the Tone volume of the t1 range separately. Do you folks with 800's adjust the other regions accordingly allowing you to lower the overall volume (and pinpoint volume)?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you got me on this one, so I had to go grab the detector to see what you were talking about. I started with the Bluetooth headphones that came with the detector. I normally keep the detector's volume up and turn the volume down on the headphones so that it's easy to adjust on the fly without going into my settings. The sound was level using both the pinpoint and regular beach mode. I then tested it with just the speaker and then with a set of wired headphones that I had on the counter and found that both of those the pinpointer feature really blasted my ears when I was right over the target. I am assuming it's because there's a volume control on the Bluetooth headphones and I use that which caused me not to experience what you're experiencing. If you have a Bluetooth headset for your phone, can you try pairing that with your detector just for a test to see if you have better volume balancing?

OP
OP
Quisp

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John, Thanks for the reply. I have the 600 with the wired headphones so no Bluetooth headphones, yet. I don't get it 'cause you'd think the master volume would affect both the Bluetooth and the other sounds equally, even over your Bluetooth. I cranked up my volume yesterday to 22 to really hear faint signals (no silver yet) but had to shift my headphones off my ear during pinpointing. I think I'll send Minelabs a note asking why it's so loud.

Any other 600 owners out there, using wired headphones want to chime in?

Thanks,
Dan

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are the volumes on your tones? Might want to turn those up all the way, and then the master volume back down to try to normalize the volume between pinpoint and search mode.

OP
OP
Quisp

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are the volumes on your tones? Might want to turn those up all the way, and then the master volume back down to try to normalize the volume between pinpoint and search mode.

I think i can only adjust the t1 tone volume on the 600, which wont help much. I'll have to check.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The louder pinpoint gets the closer to the center of target you are and louder usually means shallow. I rarely use pinpoint because I prefer the wiggle method

OP
OP
Quisp

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess im finding too many shallow targets. So what's the wiggle method?

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry, all I was trying to say was that I had the same experience when I tried wired easphones too, but not with a set where I had a secondary volume control.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread