Pinpointer review

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know about everyone here but his hole is the main reason allot of us are not able to detect private property.

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a difference on those pinpointers! You would think that the inline would be deeper,go figure? I found a 1775 spanish 2 reale and 1782 spanish 2 reale and a no dater. Pretty cool coins :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KevinH said:
I do not know about everyone here but his hole is the main reason allot of us are not able to detect private property.

Kevin...I agree and that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the video..no need of digging a hole that big and aggresively. I also noticed he did not have a mat (I use an old shirt) to dump the dirt on from his hole so it all neatly goes back in without any residual dirt left on the lawn.
I was impressed with the depth of the pistol probe and may go back to using one, I had a bullseye and to me it was a waste for the coin or relic was jsut about showing before the bullseye picked it up and I wasn;t impressed with it at all.

Nullers

Mar 11, 2007
Ridgecrest, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2 White's MXT
I'm also using the Bullseye II and not real impressed. Just put in an order for fro a pistol probe and looking forward to trying it out in the field.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't have much trouble with my bullseye, but i bookmmarked the page for my wife, for my birthday or xmas..lol..gregg

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I agree and made comment in the Wisconsin forum as this was posted there also. It disgust me to watch this idiot dig that Crater and also not use a mat? Also I have used all the above mentioned pinpointers and can tell you with confidense that he is at best an idiot, He must work for Detector Pro as he changes detectors in the middle of the video, then when he gets close to finding the coin they cut away and we have to take his word that the other pinpointers can't locate the coin. It all smells very fishy to me and I guess if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Think I'll wait to purchase one till I see and hear reports from trusted T-net members or club members till I throw down my hard earned money. Till then maybe this dork needs to watch a few video's on recovery instead of making commercials

HH
Slipperyjack47

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slipperyjack47 said:
Think I'll wait to purchase one till I see and hear reports from trusted T-net members or club members till I throw down my hard earned money.
HH
Slipperyjack47

I couldn;t agree more...I was by no means endorsing this type of probe (and apologize if anything took it that way), just wanted to post it with the hopes that someone here could verify and/or dispute the results indicated in the video.. I also would not buy ANYTHING due to info from an infomercial. Like you, I trust only comments or suggestions from trusted members in here... :thumbsup:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally do a lot better job of pinpointing the target initially, making a first whole of 3 to 6 inches in diameter. I get a good idea of the depth also. So I prefer a pinpointer with a about an inch to inch and a half detecting depth. More than that makes it harder to actually pinpont. "TO ME A PINPOINTER IS NOT ALL ABOUT THE DEPTH." It's about PINPOINTING. Just the way I do it.

Ed D.

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
After making my first post I decided to do some investigating on my own on this new probe from detector pro and pass on the findings. First I would like to say as the owner of both a bullseye and a Garretts pinpointer that the claims on depth in this video are greatly exaggerated! Yes the bullseye only does about an inch, but the Garretts will do 3.5 to 5 inches easily! Also another feature on the Garretts and bullseye are that the entire wand, not just the tip of it is a metal detector thus allowing you to "rim" the hole and locate a find. The detectorpro pistol probe is NOT waterproof where the others are, which makes for an easier clean up or as some of hunt on those misty days would appreciate. I spoke with several owners of the pistol probe and found that all most everyone of them had to send the pistol probe in for repairs and were sent new units, maybe not well constructed? The biggest gripe I got from the owners of the pistol probe was the sheer size of it! Very large and cumbersome, I prefer a smaller unit myself as its less wieght to carry and can get into tighter spots ie arounds roots and such. This is just my personal opinion and information I have collected from other T-net members who have owned this unit, I know how tough these economic times are for all of us and I hope this information will lead you to making an informed decision when purchasing a pinpointer. Please remember that its always best to go to a reputable dealer and speak with them, some will even allow you to try a unit out there in the store and show you the pros and cons of it. I hope this helps you make the best choice for yourself

HH
Slipperyjack47

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Hi all, new guy here and this seems to be a heated thread but I am in the market for a new pinpointer as the one I have I don't like. Hope you don't mind another oipinion on this video? :icon_sunny:

I admit the man hole sized plug is a bit much, and I always use something (a piece of "rubberized" shelf lining that works great and is washable) to put the dirt on. However, as far as I can tell there seems to be nothing "suspicious" about his testing methods. Based on his air tests AND the "in the hole" testing the pistol probe looks to me like it has the most depth of the ones tested. He has another video where he added the Sun Ray and Vibraprobe.

You can see that he in fact has ALL these probes so IMO he should have some fair knowledge about how well they work. At least he has more than me!

Please tell me if there is something wrong in my thinking but I like the fact that after you pull the plug you can pinpoint the target BEFORE you start digging in to avoid wasting time or more importantly scratching a valuable coin. Most probes I have used only do about an inch or a bit more and that doesn't cut it most of the time. And no matter what MD you have, it is often difficult to use it to pinpoint as accurately as a handheld (hence the reason people use them).

So, my point is this guys videos were very helpful to me because I could see what he was talking about and doing. Even perhaps more helpful than for example someone just saying "I get 3-5" from my XXXXX", or "I like XXXXX and it works". I would like to thank the OP for the link and the guy who made the video! No matter what is disagreed here... THAT WAS A GREAT FIND wasn't it?

JeepMcMuddy

Nov 9, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX-300, 4x6DD, 10"D2
One thing I noticed is the way he is holding the sunray probe. I have heard from several users of them, that if you hold it in the middle of the probe, you lose depth. You are supposed to hold it on the top of the probe near the cable. I do like the idea of the pistol probe, for pin pointing in manicured lawns. With 4/5" you should be able to hold the probe to the grass and find dead center of shallow coins easier than with your big coil. That said, it should not be a replacement to learn to properly pinpoint using your detector. Just may save time if I am going to pop a shallow coin out. I would however not like to use it for finding a coin in the hole or dug plug, as the added depth could be frustrating.

That said, I am waiting patiently until I can order my Sun Ray DX-1. :)

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after reading all the responses by everyone here and evaluating everyones input...I am staying with my original opinion...no pinpointer at all. I have never used one (except for briefly trying a bullseye probe and I didn;t like it) and use my coil to pinpoint as best as I can and carefully and patiently dig and sift thru the pile and use my detector for determining what and where the object is.
Thanks to all for all your input...much appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Also remember that the pistol probe can be adjusted to be less sensitive for more accurate pinpointing in the hole or plug. It seems to be the best of both worlds. We'll see, as I just ordered one. My biggest concern is the pistol probe's resemblence to a holstered handgun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread