What's new

pinpointers

Charlie P., has Sunray stopped making probes for ETracs? I looked high n low earlier this year and couldn't locate one.
Thanks
Peace ✌

I had heard there was a problem with Minelab not releasing either the licensing or component patents so SunRay could incorporate the components of some Minelab detectors into their probe. It could be just a problem of fitting it into the probe. I believe Minelab puts a processor in their coils or shafts(?). As I recall it was driven by Minelab and the price SunRay would have to pass along brought it over $250 for the probe, and they figured there would be no market. I may be miles off on this but it was rumored around back when I was researching my last detector purchase.

I see on a cached version of their website they required you to send in the upper shaft so they could fit the X-1 probe at the SunRay plant. Mine just plugged in.
 
Last edited:
Love my Deteknix x-pointer for 89.00 check out youtube videos on pinpointers.
 
What the difference between the high dollars ones and the cheap ones, don't they do the same job?
The difference is over a hundred dollars!
You can set the sensitivity of the harbor freight with an outside control and if you are goofy enough to want more there is an inside adjustment also. The truth is if it picks up to far away, like 3", it is useless in a normal 3" hole because it will sound off anywhere in the hole. Some always want more and they defeat the purpose of a pinpointer in the process. A pinpointer is a basic function tool you don't have to spend a bundle on. Don't confuse it with a detector that serves many functions thus comes at many different prices. Hay, my HF is going on it's 3rd year and hasn't missed a target yet. Frank five star.webp
 
The difference is over a hundred dollars!
You can set the sensitivity of the harbor freight with an outside control and if you are goofy enough to want more there is an inside adjustment also. The truth is if it picks up to far away, like 3", it is useless in a normal 3" hole because it will sound off anywhere in the hole. Some always want more and they defeat the purpose of a pinpointer in the process. A pinpointer is a basic function tool you don't have to spend a bundle on. Don't confuse it with a detector that serves many functions thus comes at many different prices. Hay, my HF is going on it's 3rd year and hasn't missed a target yet. FrankView attachment 1087106

I disagree and this is why. The price'r pointers have proximinity features and/or detuning abilities. Both features are keen after getting a "ping" from a 3-5" target in the hole, or for that matter, the 1.5-2" Garretts. Detuning is quick and easy and effective. The 3"+ pinpointers have kept me looking in a deeper hole, whereas I have quit many holes when using lesser, cheaper pinpointers. many of my best finds came from the better, costlier pionters.

I suggest that all need to appreciate detuning. There ain't a pinpointer built that I know of less that $50 that has that ability. Right now today...the Detonix X-Pointer is the most bang for the buck, but I don't care for the X-Pointer's detune feature. The Garretts is far simpler and faster. The X-pointer makes up for it in how it performs at a full two inches though, and the proximinity feature kicks booty.

"Hay, my HF is going on it's 3rd year and hasn't missed a target yet."


I respectfully doubt that anyone, even those with every pinpointer that's ever come out...can say this for absolute truth. Sorry Frank.
 
A pinpointer is a must in my opinion. I spent my first year of metal detecting filling in a lot of holes out of pure frustration with no recovery so like you I consulted forum members and threads and followed there advice and bought a Garrett Pinpointer Pro.
5 seasons and no regrets and my finds totals went up immediately.
When I grab it I do not even think about it, will it break? will it turn on? it is like an extension of my hand when I am using it as it speaks to me by vibration and sound quickly zeroing in on the target.
The worst detecting outing I had this year was the day that I forgot my GPP.

Minas man
 
The difference is over a hundred dollars!
You can set the sensitivity of the harbor freight with an outside control and if you are goofy enough to want more there is an inside adjustment also. The truth is if it picks up to far away, like 3", it is useless in a normal 3" hole because it will sound off anywhere in the hole. Some always want more and they defeat the purpose of a pinpointer in the process. A pinpointer is a basic function tool you don't have to spend a bundle on. Don't confuse it with a detector that serves many functions thus comes at many different prices. Hay, my HF is going on it's 3rd year and hasn't missed a target yet. FrankView attachment 1087106

I'm just a newby here guys, but it certainly makes some sense to me that a PINpointer, by definition should not have too much range....

I'm currently considering 2 pinpointers (my budget simply cannot stretch to Garrett/ Minepro etc. at the moment):
Bounty Hunter
Deteknix Xpointer

From reading this post & a few others... and from lots of youtube views, I'm definitely leaning towards the Xpointer.
Even though it's fairly new on the market, I haven't found many negative reports on it, and to be honest, it looks like it could be a "clone" of the Garrett Propointer.
 
The thread has wondered off topic, and seems to have turned into some shill operation. High dollar vs. low dollar function was the question. This can be answered very easy without promoting certain brand names.
 
The thread has wondered off topic, and seems to have turned into some shill operation. High dollar vs. low dollar function was the question. This can be answered very easy without promoting certain brand names.

Bowwinkles, I'm curious. When you're having a conversation in real life, do subjects not naturally flow into related discussions? Or do you also say to the person you're talking to: "No wait! We have to stop this discussion, because we've wandered (correct sp btw) off topic. So we'd better start a new one.... Just Saying..................
 
To answer the question in a general way. High dollar VS. low dollar, which is better? Generally High dollar. Some have more features than low dollar, some are more sensitive than low dollar, some are easier to use than low dollar, some have better build quality. But that is not always true. There are exceptions to the rule. There have been pinpointers that have recently been released that have the features, sensitivity, and ease of use that the more expensive ones have. Since they are new to the market the only question is how long they last. I took a chance on one and so far have not been disappointed. Whew! Said all of that without mentioning a vendor. But if you want to know which one I use, just look over to the left. :laughing7:
 
Last edited:
I appreciate all the feedback even if it goes off subject it's still more I learn.
 
That's true.

Any like so many things there are diminishing returns as you go into higher prices. A $150 pinpointer may or may not be twice as good as a $75 one. But if the features it does have are ones you appreciate it may well be twice as valuable to you. May not be to the next guy who doesn't need them or like the way they operate. We all do things a little different.

True of any tool or piece of equipment from fishing reels to motor vehicles.
 
Bowwinkles, I'm curious. When you're having a conversation in real life, do subjects not naturally flow into related discussions? Or do you also say to the person you're talking to: "No wait! We have to stop this discussion, because we've wandered (correct sp btw) off topic. So we'd better start a new one.... Just Saying..................

Key words "shill operation" If you are interested in a particular brand then start the thread and ask about those items as you did with the two detectors you asked about,.
 
I'm just a newby here guys, but it certainly makes some sense to me that a PINpointer, by definition should not have too much range....

I'm currently considering 2 pinpointers (my budget simply cannot stretch to Garrett/ Minepro etc. at the moment):
Bounty Hunter
Deteknix Xpointer



From reading this post & a few others... and from lots of youtube views, I'm definitely leaning towards the Xpointer.
Even though it's fairly new on the market, I haven't found many negative reports on it, and to be honest, it looks like it could be a "clone" of the Garrett Propointer.

Go with the X Pointer. I have had both. The bounty hunter pinpointer is a hassle to use and the range is not good. The Deteknix X Pointer I had works great! On the other hand, I have had to send it back for either repairs or replacements twice, and I first bought it in September. Both times the positive battery terminal has separated from the circuit board and it loses connection. The first time, I sent it in and got a brand new one back. It worked for two months and did the exact same thing. I then sent it in and they only replaced the guts. It has been fine since. The first time it took 11 days, and the second time it took only 7 days from the time I mailed it out till the day I got it back. If it breaks on me again, I am going to the Garrett Pro-pointer.
 
The difference is over a hundred dollars!
You can set the sensitivity of the harbor freight with an outside control and if you are goofy enough to want more there is an inside adjustment also. The truth is if it picks up to far away, like 3", it is useless in a normal 3" hole because it will sound off anywhere in the hole. Some always want more and they defeat the purpose of a pinpointer in the process. A pinpointer is a basic function tool you don't have to spend a bundle on. Don't confuse it with a detector that serves many functions thus comes at many different prices. Hay, my HF is going on it's 3rd year and hasn't missed a target yet. FrankView attachment 1087106

This^^^^^. Never had a problem with mine. $16 @ Harbor Freight.

 
I disagree and this is why. The price'r pointers have proximinity features and/or detuning abilities. Both features are keen after getting a "ping" from a 3-5" target in the hole, or for that matter, the 1.5-2" Garretts. Detuning is quick and easy and effective. The 3"+ pinpointers have kept me looking in a deeper hole, whereas I have quit many holes when using lesser, cheaper pinpointers. many of my best finds came from the better, costlier pionters.

I suggest that all need to appreciate detuning. There ain't a pinpointer built that I know of less that $50 that has that ability. Right now today...the Detonix X-Pointer is the most bang for the buck, but I don't care for the X-Pointer's detune feature. The Garretts is far simpler and faster. The X-pointer makes up for it in how it performs at a full two inches though, and the proximinity feature kicks booty.

"Hay, my HF is going on it's 3rd year and hasn't missed a target yet."


I respectfully doubt that anyone, even those with every pinpointer that's ever come out...can say this for absolute truth. Sorry Frank.

Here's how I do it. My detector has already told me how deep it is and centered it dead center in the coil. I merely insert my probe in the center of my coil and touch the target 90% of the time. Now if the target is small, then I remove the plug and the pinpointer points right to it. My $16 HF has always located the target. To me this is a very simple procedure that does not require exorbitant spending.
For your info, as stated in my post, the HF has an external sensitivity knob.

I really don't like someone saying I am not telling the truth! Maybe it's because you have a hard time understanding that I am better with my $16 pinpointer than you with your overpriced one. Frankfive star.webp
111-1 profileRED.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom