Pioneer 505

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't run across any mention of the Pioneer 505. I started out with a Lonestar, then got a brand new 505 for 100 dollars from my boss a week after talking her into buying it. I love the all metal pint point and the way I can switch quickly to disc to see what its found. Any one else ever owned one (or still do?) Went to a state fair ground today and found a good bit of change and a gold ear ring. Any thoughts and opinion's are appreciated. Thanks, Shane in Baton Rouge La

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
the only thing I can say is the pioneer series of BH is made for sale only by Walmart and they buy it for low ball price, so in essence, it's not a very good machine, you're better off buying one from Kellyco or aadvark or some other reputable dealer

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
I've had mine for a couple years, and it has been a very good and fun to use machine. It's my first detector, so maybe I don't know what a good unit is. All I can say is that it has ridden around in my dirty trunk, gotten muddy, frozen, wet, dropped and it still works great. Its the kind of unit I can go camping with, and when I'm not using it, just slide it under the camper and really don't panic about someone stealing it. I got mine for $150 brand new off ebay. My deepest find was a silver quarter at 8". I also got a wheatie at 7" last year. Most finds for me are in the 3 to 5" range. I've used it in knee deep water. In 2 years I've found 4 gold rings, several silver rings and tons of clad. I am looking at getting a whites M6 in hopes of increasing my depth, and hoping better identity of masked objects, as I've only found about 6 silver coins. But who knows, maybe they just aren't where I'm looking. They could be getting masked by nails and tabs.
I would rate this as very good starter machine. I've had a ball with and paid it off almost twice. I'm ready to pass it down to my son, and try a big name unit and see if they are worth it.

Indiana-Fred

Greenie
Dec 15, 2007
Evansville Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bountry Hunter - 505
I also hunt with a 505... and have had great luck with it.... You will get a lot of heat from
those who think the 505 is junk but it is the same machine as the SS-II. If your 505 came
with the 4 inch coil use it in and around trashy area... it works GREAT

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Indiana Fred, Ive had my 505 for about 2 mos now and have found lots with it in the areas I have hunted. I am really enjoying it, could easily purchase a Thousand dollar model. The thing is awesome on deep stuff in all metal so a great relic hunter as well as coin shooter! Cheers, Shane

Monkeyboy007

Dec 28, 2006
Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50 and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
shanegalang said:
I haven't run across any mention of the Pioneer 505. I started out with a Lonestar, then got a brand new 505 for 100 dollars from my boss a week after talking her into buying it. I love the all metal pint point and the way I can switch quickly to disc to see what its found. Any one else ever owned one (or still do?) Went to a state fair ground today and found a good bit of change and a gold ear ring. Any thoughts and opinion's are appreciated. Thanks, Shane in Baton Rouge La

"My first metal detector was a 505, the wife got it for me at Walmart for Christmas in 2006. I found a ring that I just had appraised at $675.00 (My Avatar),and probably $200 in clad, a 1906 0 barber dime, a 1909 o barber dime and a few silver rings with it. I gave it to my son when I got my minelab, but my son keeps up with me when we hunt together. It was really easy to use and had great depth and good ID (still does :).)

Clint

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
I don't know what sniffer is talking about but,
ask Montana Jim. He knows all about the 505. I've had mine for a month and 6 days, haven't hardly gotten to hunt with it (due to weather), and still ahve already almost paid for it. First day I found an 1899 IH. Found a few silver coins, an 1860's silver spoon, a service station sign (worth some $$$), about $20 in clad, 2 silver rings, and a ton of relics, to include horse shoes, old tools, raw iron, square heads, and rail road spikes...heck, even works great in wet and dry sand. Stick with it, you'll be supprised. In a few years, if you still have the bug, give that one to your significant other, or use all of the $$ you made with the bounty hunter to buy a more expensive machine, just make sure you save some for gas....oh, and save enough time to read the phone book sized manual it comes with...HH

~Tom

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I considered getting a more expensive model now but figure its more where your hunting and whats to be found than the detector. I have found plenty with it and having a great time. I suppose if I were in areas like beaches ect. I may need something different but here in La. its working great for me. I do want to invest with a detector with VDI sometime in the future but for now my 505 is doing great. I've read reviews on a ton of different detectors and just like cars, they all have pros and cons depending on who is doing the review. For some its a cadillac, for some its a corvette. HH Shane

Jellybone

Nov 21, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Walmart Special 505
Bounty Hunter Rules! Don't be fooled by people who are Walmart Haters. Or maybe they are pissed because they spent the big bucks on their machines and the Bounty Hunter can keep up with them. BTW - that company makes the same detectors for Cabelas and others. USA Company - 5 year warranty - can't go wrong. I go detecting with a guy who has a really nice top of the line Whites - we are always checking each others finds for sanity checks - they always ring the same!

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Jellybone........I posted this topic back in nov 07. I have sence purchased a Tesoro. I kind of compare it to when I went from a 56K modem to high speed cable. Seriously tho, still have the 505 and use it on occation. Personally I have found that its what is to be found where I'm hunting rather than the detector I'm using. My Tesoro does without a doubt get more depth and the parts, like the cable connector ect. are made better. :thumbsup:

Jellybone

Nov 21, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Walmart Special 505
shanegalang said:
Jellybone........I posted this topic back in nov 07. I have sence purchased a Tesoro. I kind of compare it to when I went from a 56K modem to high speed cable. Seriously tho, still have the 505 and use it on occation. Personally I have found that its what is to be found where I'm hunting rather than the detector I'm using. My Tesoro does without a doubt get more depth and the parts, like the cable connector ect. are made better. :thumbsup:
I can't argue with a Tesoro - they are great machines! I actually find stuff in Colorado that's so deep I wish I didn't find it because I get worn out! I like the fact that it's lightweight and so easy to use. Found my first silver Dime the other day - have collected 2 Gold rings, 5 Silver rings (latest has a nice Ruby in it) and 100 bucks in clad - not to mention all kinds of toys including tootsie and matchbox for the grandson. I've only been at this since September 07 and it is so fun. I only wish I could get to some places that have old coins. Colorado seems scarce and there are a lot of us out there. I totally agree with you that it's what is to be found. 2 weeks ago I was 4 wheeling - had the BH Strapped to the back of it and it fell off when I was doing a very rocky level 7 jeep trail...I freaked - heart was pumping. Grabbed it and started detecting in the middle of no where and found an old tin can 1 and 1/2 foot deep. Man was I worn out that day. Then 2 nites later I found the 925 Silver ring with a heart shaped Ruby at a clad park along with 2.37 in clad. Takes a licking and keeps on Ringing!

HookMan

Dec 10, 2008
Hi all,

Brand new to the scene.

Would $60.00 for a "used twice" BH 505 be a good deal?

The seller says they bought it for $400.00 new. Does this sound right?

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hook man........that sounds like a good deal to me. I have one i no longer use. I also have the 4 inch coil in addition to the 8 inch. I'm not so sure he paid 400 new but 60 dollars is a good deal in my oppinion. Its a great detector and really good to learn on at that price. If you fall in love with the hobby, like most of us you can always invest more later to fit your needs. Good luck, Shane

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
I may buy the mp5 from Kellyco is thiat detector the 505 I see you call them by different names but seem to be the same detector??I see an awesome package deal there:
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/MP3/mp5pro.htm
and I will buy the pin pointer....Let me know if that s a good deal...I am a novice I have a bounty hunter 2 and havent really been out much....Will use on beach parks and sport fields....Any info will be great....Also If anyone knows where I can find A manual for a Tracker 2??????
Gerald

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
gtl.....that detector is not the same. The Pioneer 505 is a Bounty Hunter. This one you refer to is a "MP" brand. As far as the manual you may check Ebay or do a Google search for "manuals". Good luck, Shane

aj2000_26187

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2009
Well i dont know much about the 505 yet but it should be here friday i ordered mine from kellyco with the 8' inch coil and i also got the 10" as well.They are running a special on them for 189.00 sounded like a deal to me. Im hopeing its a good first detector. Im really excited about this hobby. Im going to be hunting alot of old home sights in the area here in WV. So i guess ill see how it does.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to Tnet AJ. You will enjoy that detector. Its what I basically learned on. Have fun! Shane

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shane, how did the Tesoro do at the fairground last year? In your opinion, did it do better than the 505? I used to live in Gonzales and still have relatives in the area. I'll bet there is a lot to be found when that fair leaves town.

john

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi John,
I found lots with the 505. The majority of things there are only 2 to 4 inches down.
You are right that there is so much out there. I did research and the fair only started there in 1973. So you can imagine the coins are only late 60s thru present as those are the coins people were loosing sense the fairs beginning. Also most of what I found wasn't stuff that had been lost at the last fair to come thru. That stuff was right on top the ground, eye stuff I call it. The 505 was great for me to learn on because there was so much stuff. Still is. You can hardly find a one square foot area with out at least a penny. Theres lots of trash so I was forced to learn about discrimination. I find the target separation wasn't as good on the 505 as the Deleon.
The display jumped around alot because the detector was seeing pull tabs, foil, a dime, a penny all bunched up together everwheres. In my opinion the 2 detectors are just totally different machines all together. It about drove me crazy when I first got the Tesoro (Deleon) as it only has one tone. I had gotten used to the 505 and low tones for iron/foil, mid for pull tabs/rings and highs for dimes/quarters etc.
The Tesoro also has more depth and isn't as prone to "masking". Like if there is a pull tab and a coin the Deleon will tell me its a coin by a TID number, but has "smears" or little graphs above each likely target with the highest being the most likely target. I have grown accustomed to the one tone, it has more intensity on a good target, less on trash. Hard to explain that part, just have to experience it. Another thing I noticed about a comparison in the two detectors is that a Tesoro and I imagine any higher end machine has better physical parts. The connectors, the cable, the knobs have a set screw that hold them on. But still I personally never had a problem with the BH and it will find things if they are there. its a great machine to learn on at a good price and if you feel you have learned enough and want to, you can always upgrade. But you have to pay alot more for just a little more. I hope all this makes sense and apologise for it being so long. Hit me up when you can go out there and I would gladly show you where most stuff is. Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread