Pipsico Research Update: Any new information?

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been unable to come up with anymore information on Dillard's Wharf or the town there unfortunately.

Ann, did you make it to the Historical Society or the courthouse? Any new information?

I attached Ann's aerial shot again, since it is a great view of the area. I am curious about the area that the BSA says we should check out. Was there supposed to be something there? That area is in the woods to the left of the rangers house, if I am seeing it correctly, and I don't think we have hit that area yet. Correct me if I am wrong...

I am already excited about the October hunt, that is the best time to hunt a place like this since most of the undergrowth will have died and it won't be terribly hot.

Attachments

• pipsicoview.jpg
    pipsicoview.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 210

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey Kiros...

Hunt is still on....

I did get to Surry Co historical society...they had recently moved in and did not have much info to go on...I went to the Deed's office and picked up a few deeds on William Dillard. Still transcribing them. My scanner is not hooked up yet to my laptop....so I haven't been able to scan them yet. I am working on a website for us (the Pipsico Hunts)....I hope to have it up and running before our next hunt!!!

As for that area...what BSA said was that area is being constructed for a trail area or something like that...in other words, they highly recommended (they did say this!) that we metal detect that area before alot of that land is dug up!). He said that we should be ok in Oct, as he did not think they were starting before Jan 2009. So, we should still have raw ground to detect. This area, I was told ... was basically used as one of the first camp areas for the boys when the land was first bought and also was mainly used after the other sites were built for primitative camping. He said that folks usually use that area for motor biking too with BSA permission of course! So, if BSA says we should hit that area, I think I would take their recommendations.....who knows, we might find some history there that KNOW ONE suspected!! Wouldn't that be so awesome??

Hey, I got me an OUTDOOR Shower setup! LOL...yes I did. I still have to get some shower things (extra ones to fill with water)...so we can take showers now. It sets up like a tent and has a closet space to keep your clothes dry! Haven't set it up yet....will have too...and will take a pic! Got a portable toilet also....it can also be put in the shower set up for privacy!!! Will bring lots of air freshner too! LMAO!!!!

And NO...we have NOT hit that area that BSA highly recommends us to detect. Would be great if we could get lots more folks to join us....the more folks, the more finds and more area covered!!!!

I will let you know when I have these deeds completely transcribed....small print, my eyes don't see as well as they use too! LOL..some words hard to understand...but it's coming along. I have several pages. I want to get back up there and get more deeds, anything relating to Pipsico. The courthouse, I could not get to...all there stuff, of any historical nature are packed up in boxes and it won't be till next Spring/Summer before they will be available :(....... I'm still searching newspapers for any answers to our questions about Dillard's Wharf. The historical society was not sure about the photo Ranger Dan talked about, but they had not unpacked everything...so right now...still trying to find out WHO has that photo!!!

I'm really excited about the fourth hunt! I really think we should hit that area BSA told us about...first and foremost...then we can concentrate on other areas. I hope more folks can join us.....the more the merrier!!! We do have lots of fun...don't we?

Hope all is well with everyone and I'll keep you posted on the website and any new data I should locate.
Annmarie

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ann

If you need any help transcribing the deeds, let me know, I would be glad to help.

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Ann, if you need any extra help let me know. This would be great training for me, lol. I need all the help (training) I can get. Finding out how much I really don't know about this hobby. I'm just down the road from you.

Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread