What's new

Pistol ball and silver

McCDig

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2015
Messages
3,753
Reaction score
9,039
Golden Thread
1
Location
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out Thursday AM and hit the spot in Belair that has produced buttons and other artifacts. No buttons this time but did manage a pistol ball, shotgun shell casing, and horse tack rivet. Stay or go was my choice after a couple hours, so I left and headed back to Dundalk. It was worth it!
First good target (1954 Rosie) was shinin' back at me from the base of a six inch plug; didn't have to go searching the hole for it. Other good target from that site was deep, down 10 inches, a 1935D Buff. This spot has been very good for me for silver. That Rosie makes one silver dime for each of my last four visits there.
Finds.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 22
Congrats on the silver, buffalo and other nice finds
 
Silvers add up, even one at a time. Nice hunt
 
Sweet hunt McCDig, that was a deep buffalo, did it ID in the 30's on the VDI, or lower? I have been playing around with the Deus I bartered for, but I still find myself picking up the F75 as my go-to detector when huntong new sites. It is still an awesome machine.
 
Nice finds! FYI...The shotgun headstamp has a date range of around 1904-1927. I love finding old shotgun headstamps, not to mention the finding silver with it!! Great job!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sweet Rosie,, some people don't count them because they feel they aren't old enough.
I will count them, all day long!!
Congratulations
 
Thx LD! I made a change in the F75 settings that got me digging nickels.
Switched tones from 3 to 3H. Nickels now give a high tone. When I hear
that high tone and see a VDI bouncing around 30 I know it's likely a nickel.
So Thursday I dug 4 nickels and one was the Buff.
 
Thx ATW! Agreed! That Rosie was probably lost in 1960 when I was 7.
From my perspective, that's old. Anyway, as you said, silver is always great to find.
 
Thx lkylemoore. Yep, I like the head stamps, too. Each one is like a different date on a coin.
 
Thanks Art! Good to get out. This has been my best summer of finds.
 
Thanks Silver John! Think they got most the quarters but they left some dimes behind.
 
Thx ScubaDetector! Silvers are a rare find for me so seeing a dime on the bottom of a plug was awesome.
 
Thx lkylemoore. Yep, I like the head stamps, too. Each one is like a different date on a coin.

I used to recycle all the SG Heads I found but started saving them a few years back & yr right Soooo many different types to be found.
Hopefully SGB will be the next big Collectible, but I won't hold my breath.

For New Hunters especially , they are something that is still abundant & old .
Nice saves. like the Pistol /Ball shot also.
 
The silver does greet you with with a smile!
Nice bunch of finds! Congrats!

Usually when I make those "should i stay or should i go" decesions i get skunked.
Glad you did well by it.
 
Thx Davers! Dig it all. Appreciate the quote!
 
Thx Msbeepbeep! Getting out early tomorrow for just a couple hours, so it will be 'stay' and see what comes out of the ground. Get back to you on the finds. Maybe even a "silver" greeting.
 
Hope you did well!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom