✅ SOLVED Pistol ball extraction method?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been finding several of these pistol balls at a site where lots of roundballs were found. There have been these in the mix that looks as if they were pinched with needle nose pliars. Question is, was this common practice, and was it done because of them not fitting in the chamber properly.....left to right are 80 grain, 78 grain and 60

20200524_184514.jpg 20200524_184434.jpg

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kinda looks like their sprue cutter wasn't cutting properly (possibly damaged) or they were inexperienced at using it

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard tellin...
Could be a loading lever of a revolver squished them while forcing them into the cylinder.
The detents look a little over sized for that though...

Could be the short starter/loading rod used on single shots while loading.
Pure lead is quite soft and a tight patch will require more force.
Or...They could have been pushed out of a loaded cylinder with a loading rod / short starter.

Or...L.o.l.. They could have been loaded together in a smoothbore and deformed as they collided and jostled for position on the way out. Or after hitting what they ended up hitting.

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
To get a ball out of a loaded cylinder, you would not use pliers in my opinion. When I’ve needed to do it with my black powder Colts, I remove the cylinder from the gun, remove the nipple, empty the powder, then push the round out with a dowel. I think you’re are fire buckshot or buck and ball. A loading lever leaves a distinct mark on the ball much as a ramrod does on a minie ball.

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I never pull a revolver ball, always push it out

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always use Rum... lots and lots of Rum...

Then tweezers.

Puts a real damper on my day or evening... have to stop everything to remove them.

If they are deep...

I just leave them in and glue on a patch of some sort... only if eyepatch is unavailable.

:P

Upvote 0
OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the suggestions and experience.....that's what I was look in for:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread