What's new

Pistol ID and Value

coinman123

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2013
Messages
4,676
Reaction score
5,768
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Thinking of buying this pistol, according to the seller it was converted to percussion cap and dates from the 1700's, but what do you think? It looks to me like the lock may have been replaced rather than converted. How much would be a reasonable price for it too. Thanks!

20181222_112328.webp20181222_112330.webp20181222_112446(0).webp20181222_112508.webp20181222_112512.webp20181222_112512.webp20181222_112519.webp20181222_112529.webp
 
Don't know enough about guns this old, that said. I agree looks like the lock was replaced due to the poor fit. Poor fitting and alignment of the ram rod guides brings up concerns. The way the wood is worn or distress around the lock is weird. Gun could be real, could be a souvenir gun (Lot of them made in Turkey, Spain), or could be a Khyber Pass gun. More pictures, clear shots of any markings, clear shots of where metal parts meet the wood, where metal meets metal. I'm always ready and willing to be proved wrong, and honestly hope I am wrong here. As a weapons collector I know, in hand helps a lot, knowledge, and doing your homework prevents you from being burn.

Couple questions: Any markings on the lock? Any markings on the barrel? Any markings on the wood?

I've got a British P1853 Enfield rifle made in 1863 (Snider Mk II** conversion) that doesn't show near that much wear on the stock. This rifle is an Afghanistan (GWOT) bringback that had a long hard life.

IMG_0037ab.webp

IMG_0039ab.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
$40?

The lock does look like it was percussion from the get-go (post 1822). Definitely not original to the gun. The missing bolts would have held the original lock on. Whether flint or percussion I can't tell. I'd have to see the nipple arrangement to see if the barrel was originally flint.

Could be like my Gr-gr-gr-granpappy's axe that has been handed down for centuries. Handle replaced three times and the head twice; but it is a treasured family heirloom.
 
Upvote 0
$40?

The lock does look like it was percussion from the get-go (post 1822). Definitely not original to the gun. The missing bolts would have held the original lock on. Whether flint or percussion I can't tell. I'd have to see the nipple arrangement to see if the barrel was originally flint.

Could be like my Gr-gr-gr-granpappy's axe that has been handed down for centuries. Handle replaced three times and the head twice; but it is a treasured family heirloom.

I should probably pass at $300 than in that case, right? I've been looking for a nice early pistol for some time to display with my musket I have hanging on the wall, but maybe I should wait a little longer then. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Pass it up,replaced parts kill any value.Unless of course there is some historical provenance to go with it.
 
Upvote 0
I should probably pass at $300 than in that case, right? I've been looking for a nice early pistol for some time to display with my musket I have hanging on the wall, but maybe I should wait a little longer then. Thanks!

There are some web sites that sell real ones, if you would like I can look them up (Saved as favorites on my PC) and send them to you via PM.

Also don't take our word and walk away, check the gun out for markings. Get some clearer pics, report back and see what the consensus is. A little research might prove it legit, and also give you a realistic price range for it, based on its condition. Which will give you bargaining power if priced too high.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a parts gun someone cobbled together, and not very well either. The buttcap, trigger guard and barrel might belong on that stock and may have some age, but personally from what I see in the pics, unless it was just dirt cheap I would pass.
 
Upvote 0
Thinking of buying this pistol, according to the seller it was converted to percussion cap and dates from the 1700's, but what do you think? It looks to me like the lock may have been replaced rather than converted. How much would be a reasonable price for it too. Thanks!

View attachment 1663354View attachment 1663355View attachment 1663356View attachment 1663357View attachment 1663358View attachment 1663358View attachment 1663360View attachment 1663361

That is a groaner....
When a seller does not know what it is ,or the builder....How do they determine a price?
The whole is the sum of it's parts.
So far , I don't see any usable parts beyond decoration.

Along a more annoying line ,the brass lock plate shows it is missing two screws. Those two screws purpose is to pass through the stock and through the locks plate to secure it.
Now looking at the lock side...The plate shows screw ends in place as if screws passed through the brass plate .......???
Anyways ,it's a mess.
As a wall hanger twenty bucks maybe , but a functional one of known type and or maker appeals more to me.

For three hundred I'd expect to be able to buy at least a couple three usable common pieces.
Been a couple decades since the last one, but I have not paid over 60 for a blackpowder single shot pistol.
 
Upvote 0
300 buck,it should be in fireable condition,for your basic no frills pistol.
 
Upvote 0
If it was 1700's it would have to be a conversion. I think to much is missing with the brass and screws. I would pass. To many good examples out there cheap. I would go for a flint lock as the mechanism is a lot more interesting in a wall hanger. You can actually convert a percussion back to a flint with the right smith.
Good luck and merry Christmas.
 
Upvote 0
Nothing historical, parts weapon at best.

10 bucks.
 
Upvote 0
If it’s Afgany, I would pass for sure. Like the others said lock bolts missing, ramrod missing, lock mortise messed up , lock replaced, it’s a parts gun at best.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
wow lots of info Id like it on my wall as long as the people seeing it knew nothing of guns Lol
 
Upvote 0
If you're good with your hands buy yourself a flintlock pistol kit to build yourself.Youll learn somethings and have the fun of firing it.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom