Pistol or Sword Pommell?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug this heavy brass piece today on a site that dates to the late 1700's here in western Virginia. Possibly a pistol or sword pommell, or just a furfurniture leg?

pommell3.jpg pommell2.jpg pommell1.jpg

Upvote 11

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a sword pommel off of a Model 1860 cavalry sword. Nice!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like a sword pommel off of a Model 1860 cavalry sword. Nice!

Thanks Rob! I was leaning more to a pistol pommel. I feel really dumb now as it's actually ID'd in Howard Crouch's book. He states this design is from a CS cavalry sabre. Would you concur? Mine does have the same "crude, rough as cast" finish that Crouch describes. The location I dug this was once owned by a Confederate officer (Captain) after the WBTS.

By the way, I also dug a Confederate Script I at the same location. More on all this to come later. Thanks again - you always come through for me!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Rob! I was leaning more to a pistol pommel. I feel really dumb now as it's actuall ID'd in Howard Crouch's book. He states this design is from a CS cavalry sabre. Would you concur? Mine does have the same "crude, rough as cast" finish that Crouch describes.

By the way, I also dug a Confederate Script I at the same location. More on all this to come later. Thanks again - you always come through for me!

Sword.. sabre ..I am to dumb to know the difference but yup.. I would agree. Looking forward to seeing the Script I! Sounds like you found a good spot!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sword.. sabre ..I am to dumb to know the difference but yup.. I would agree. Looking forward to seeing the Script I! Sounds like you found a good spot!

Yes, it is a good spot but extremely challenging. Lots of iron and surrounded by electric livestock fence.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, it is a good spot but extremely challenging. Lots of iron and surrounded by electric livestock fence.

sweet find for sure. What's a little challenge? sometimes it's a lot of challenge! congrats at managing to find the good stuff in spite of them

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recognized it's a pommel immediately,nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread