Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never been able to figure out the pitch audio. I know that it has its proponents here, though so I figured I'd pick your brains. What sort of site would you use it in? Anywhere I detect, it would drive me absolutely bonkers. Its like leaving your detector in pinpoint mode.

All I can figure is that you must be in a field that is almost void of targets in the first place. But even then, why would I prefer a mode that shows me how close I am to a target instead of indicating what sort of target is there, and letting me use pinpoint to zero in on it before digging? What is the advantage?

(my question pretty much holds true for the new Relic mode on the D2, too)

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Iron Buzz, as a relic hunter that hunts at sites with little modern trash, I only care about 1 thing..........Is it iron or not? If it isn't iron, it is coming out if the ground. So particularly at sites that I have hunted hard in the past, I can use Pitch and enough Disc to cut out most nails and then just ignore those screaming large or shallow targets (big iron) and focus on those quieter signals that indicate smaller or deeper good targets that may have been masked by iron. You can also use other modes of detection of course to the same affect, but the Pitch audio can help you lock on to good targets hidden in the iron that you may have ignored in other modes.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Buzz, as a relic hunter that hunts at sites with little modern trash, I only care about 1 thing..........Is it iron or not? If it isn't iron, it is coming out if the ground. So particularly at sites that I have hunted hard in the past, I can use Pitch and enough Disc to cut out most nails and then just ignore those screaming large or shallow targets (big iron) and focus on those quieter signals that indicate smaller or deeper good targets that may have been masked by iron. You can also use other modes of detection of course to the same affect, but the Pitch audio can help you lock on to good targets hidden in the iron that you may have ignored in other modes.
So, if I understand what you're telling me, you do pretty much use pitch as a pin pointer?

The sites that I usually hunt do not have modern trash but are often riddled with square nails and other old iron. Even with the discrim set all the way to 5 I can't get rid of them. I've tried using relic and find it just tells me where something is, but not what that something is, and when 99% of those somethings are nails, I can't pay attention to every one of them. Am I doing something wrong?

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Your Disc is a bit too low for my liking. Set it at 8 or even 10 and it will knock out a lot more iron nails. The big iron will be really loud, as will shallow iron. When it is a nonferrous target it will sound pretty sweet...even in pitch. And you will be surprised at the solid VDIs you can get even when a good target is iron masked. The numbers maybe be skewed downward or bounce a bit but who cares. If it isn't iron, you are digging it. You may get fooled with the deep bent nails or deep bean pot pieces from time to time. I look at the Ground Mineralization bar when it's an iffy signal. It will often fill in when it's an iron target. I have yet to try the enhanced Silencer and Bottle Cap Reject in V0.07. Those might really make Pitch even more deadly by eliminating those irregular shaped iron pieces that can fool you.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Pitch in the same way as Jeff. When the signal is deep and small you may need to use Zoom mode when the XY screen isn't registering enough of a line. You'd want to experiment with how much zoom to use since it can distort the line if set too high.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your Disc is a bit too low for my liking. Set it at 8 or even 10 and it will knock out a lot more iron nails. The big iron will be really loud, as will shallow iron. When it is a nonferrous target it will sound pretty sweet...even in pitch. And you will be surprised at the solid VDIs you can get even when a good target is iron masked. The numbers maybe be skewed downward or bounce a bit but who cares. If it isn't iron, you are digging it. You may get fooled with the deep bent nails or deep bean pot pieces from time to time. I look at the Ground Mineralization bar when it's an iffy signal. It will often fill in when it's an iron target. I have yet to try the enhanced Silencer and Bottle Cap Reject in V0.07. Those might really make Pitch even more deadly by eliminating those irregular shaped iron pieces that can fool you.
When I said that I set my discrimination to 5, I am, of course, referring to the IAR discrimination, which only goes to 5.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Ah, I thought you were talking about the common Pitch mode as in Fast Pitch. Sorry about that. Relic IAR is a whole different animal. It does take some getting used to but it can be super deep. I almost always use an IAR of 5 because I haven't seen a real advantage to using lower IAR. But I haven't really put in a ton of time with it either. I really don't like it in the real heavy iron patches but you can help cut out a lot of shallow iron by raising your coil a bit. It does work but I just haven't had the patience to focus on it. For raw depth in clean ground, Relic may be the deepest. I did pull a couple of really deep coppers using IAR with my D1 last year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions