desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I belong to a local club that owns a claim. This club has had this claim for many years, and acquired it after the old timers had mined it previously, and others after they commercial outfits closed up.
I walked quite a bit of the 160 acre claim, and noted that just about every wash had been worked. Most of the surface nuggets has also been detected by those with gold detectors. In other words, this place has been picked over and over and over.
But I m a stubborn type of person, and I figured, just watching how people ram their puffer and blower drywashers, that some gold was just being blown through them. maybe not much, but some small stuff that never got a chance to settle behind the riffles.
I know many of you would never go to the effort of digging for three to four hours through the tailings in these washes. Again, I'm a bit stubborn, and anyway, I just wanted to have some fun locally, instead of driving 300 miles roundtrip to something that gives a little more for less effort.
I've spent the last three weeks, digging a few times a week along about 30 yards of wash, and have recovered just about a gram of gold. That might not seem like much, but I have only dug up 5 grams, not counting this one gram in almost 20 years out here drywashing in the desert of southern California.
As you would know, things always seem to go wrong. My gas powered blower motor decided it was time for the repair shop, and haven't heard from the shop in two weeks. So I purchased a WORX WG521 corded electric leaf blower to use with my Royal Large drywasher. I'm using a portable generator to provide the power. And it actually is working better than with my old gas powered blower. I have to run the blower on the lowest speed, or I just blow everything through the riffles. Results are very good, as I am getting gold specks so small that I will have to use the Blue bowl in order to recover them.
I'm not only getting a little gold, I'm having some fun, and I am getting a good workout. I've lost 10 pounds since I started. So things are going well.
I'm still digging test holes around the old time hard rock mines in the hope I will find where the gold has drifted downhill below these mines. So far just a couple specks here and there. I figure I just have to move laterally one way or the other before I get something better Of course, I' don't really know if the old timers stripped the hillsides. Even if they have, they apparently aren't as thorough as I am. I hope that I may be lucky and find a larger piece of gold that the old timers, previous placer miners, and detectorists have missed.
Hope everyone is having as much fun as I have been having.

Upvote 47

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already ordered something, not understanding what a Zerks fitting was. So I'll have to remove the Zerks, stick the pointed nozzle in the hole, and squeeze while rotating the shaft of the mill.
I wouldn't do that. You can get a grease gun for twenty or thirty dollars (and going up from there, but the cheap ones will work). You just snap the end of the hose on the zero and squeeze, and it will push that grease all in there where it needs to go. No need to disassemble anything.

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wouldn't do that. You can get a grease gun for twenty or thirty dollars (and going up from there, but the cheap ones will work). You just snap the end of the hose on the zero and squeeze, and it will push that grease all in there where it needs to go. No need to disassemble anything.
Since my bearings are about to give up the ghost due to my lack of understanding about lubrication, they DO need to be replaced. There is a rumble and grinding sound which I've traced to the bearings. I'll need to completely disassemble the drive shaft and related components to change those bearings. I'm waiting on the bearings to arrive, as well as the grease gun, and grease tubes.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a rumble and grinding sound which I've traced to the bearings.
Ah. Yeah, that's not good. Hopefully easy to replace/fix. I've not worked on that kind of equipment before, so have no experience. The only bearings I've ever replaced were on cars (and those were not much fun).

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since my bearings are about to give up the ghost due to my lack of understanding about lubrication, they DO need to be replaced. There is a rumble and grinding sound which I've traced to the bearings. I'll need to completely disassemble the drive shaft and related components to change those bearings. I'm waiting on the bearings to arrive, as well as the grease gun, and grease tubes.
So the shaft needs to slide out? basically disassemble the mill? I wonder if some type of puller or press will be needed. The right tools make things easier I took a quick look at my mill the motor needs to be removed and flex coupling? maybe the chain attachment there's some allen screws holding it onto the shaft. Shaft needs to slide out from one side or the other looks solid / one piece. I'm just getting ready no problem yet.

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still awaiting the arrival of my new mill bearings.

I just finished taking the complete drive system apart. While I did remove the motor, I don't think that is necessary.

Each 11 inch bearing housing contains a retaining ring that has two set screws holding the bearing assembly in place on the drive shaft. Those need to be at least loosened. I removed the set screws.

Each bearing assembly is held onto the mill framework with four nuts and bolts, and four washers.

You need to remove the mill housing front plate to access the front. four bolts, etc

Remove all eight bolts, and associated hardware, and then pull the drive shaft out the front.

Assembly should be the reverse. But I believe you shouldn't firm up all the nuts and bolts until you confirm the entire drive assembly is aligned. Then carefully firm up all the nuts, bolts and set screws checking to ensure the whole assembly rotates freely, without any wobble..

Oh, there are two long metal keys that slide into a groove in the driveshaft, that one set of set screws presses against. Don't lose those.

I'll let you know how the repair job goes.

One other thing. The bearings aren't ball bearings. They are solid that ride in a groove.

I'm beginning to think that it wasn't maintenance that caused the bearings to fail, but just heavy usage. Even well oiled things eventually wear out.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still awaiting the arrival of my new mill bearings.

I just finished taking the complete drive system apart. While I did remove the motor, I don't think that is necessary.

Each 11 inch bearing housing contains a retaining ring that has two set screws holding the bearing assembly in place on the drive shaft. Those need to be at least loosened. I removed the set screws.

Each bearing assembly is held onto the mill framework with four nuts and bolts, and four washers.

You need to remove the mill housing front plate to access the front. four bolts, etc

Remove all eight bolts, and associated hardware, and then pull the drive shaft out the front.

Assembly should be the reverse. But I believe you shouldn't firm up all the nuts and bolts until you confirm the entire drive assembly is aligned. Then carefully firm up all the nuts, bolts and set screws checking to ensure the whole assembly rotates freely, without any wobble..

Oh, there are two long metal keys that slide into a groove in the driveshaft, that one set of set screws presses against. Don't lose those.

I'll let you know how the repair job goes.

One other thing. The bearings aren't ball bearings. They are solid that ride in a groove.

I'm beginning to think that it wasn't maintenance that caused the bearings to fail, but just heavy usage. Even well oiled things eventually wear out.
Maybe but we have run a lot of ore and still smooth been using a grease gun since purchase. And I've crushed a lot of rock for friends. If the seals on the bearing fails and grit enters so long bearing. Good luck on your repairs. It comes down to every so many hours the mill needs a shot of grease. But not too much.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went out and tried my new grease gun I purchased at a Napa dealer. First thing I noticed was no pressure / little resistance took a closer look grease was coming out around the threads. The zerks were loose maybe from vibration or were never tightened in the first place. But it has grease in the bearing now! not sure when I greased the mill last.

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe but we have run a lot of ore and still smooth been using a grease gun since purchase. And I've crushed a lot of rock for friends. If the seals on the bearing fails and grit enters so long bearing. Good luck on your repairs. It comes down to every so many hours the mill needs a shot of grease. But not too much.
The bearings arrived, so I had something to compare to the ones that came on the machine. The old ones were definitely toast, nearly falling apart.

Will try tomorrow morning to put things together. Also need to climb up on the roof to oil the swamp cooler bearings.

And I have to muck out the two water basins used with my big sluice. UGH!!! But one thing I've found about the slag I muck out of those basins is that it contains a lot of the 300 mesh and smaller gold. Seems that no matter how I set up my big sluice, it still spews out this tiny gold, and doesn't get caught by the catch bucket. I use a lot of Finish soap in those basins, so I'm still puzzled why. I just keep rerunning the material until it no longer produces any gold.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was saving the muck but was finding that it wasn't worth running again on my ribbed sluice. Just a few fly specks per half bucket. Just a lot of red mud great for bricks likely but I can find a lot more gold grinding float from around the place. I did save a few buckets worth to try and smelt to see if there's any gold locked up in the waste. Some of that gold is just riding along stuck on the fine waste rock then drops and you find a few more. Happy mining

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The bearings arrived, so I had something to compare to the ones that came on the machine. The old ones were definitely toast, nearly falling apart.

Will try tomorrow morning to put things together. Also need to climb up on the roof to oil the swamp cooler bearings.

And I have to muck out the two water basins used with my big sluice. UGH!!! But one thing I've found about the slag I muck out of those basins is that it contains a lot of the 300 mesh and smaller gold. Seems that no matter how I set up my big sluice, it still spews out this tiny gold, and doesn't get caught by the catch bucket. I use a lot of Finish soap in those basins, so I'm still puzzled why. I just keep rerunning the material until it no longer produces any gold.
Try making a Miller Table with a slate base . 24 x 48 would be a good dimension to start with. and have a fine sheet of FLAT water that doesn't have ANY distortions in the water's surface. and SLOWLY spread your fines (only) into the head of your Miller Table and watch the gold lines / specks appear as the water slowly wash's the waste off the gold ! I made several of these of different width's / lengths and my 24 x 48 was the heaviest and longest and my VERY FAVORET ! I sold it along with all my dredging /prospecting stuff several years back ! Good luck if you build one ! all you need is a small bilge pump and keep the water surface "FLAT AS A MIRRIOR " to work wonders for you ! Also run your screened fines together as a group rather that running assorted size material together !

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Mill is back in operation. It runs smoothly. Unfortunately it doesn't like my desert heat, and shut off when the motor got too hot. It wasn't the material in the housing. It just doesn't like 100+F temperatures.

I'm going to stick with milling one bucket in the morning. That'll give me about 60 percent smaller than 80 mesh.

I ran my combination of dirt/pea gravel from the club claim old timer waste pile, and actually got what I consider good gold from just 25 cups. If I had run the normal 75 cups, I probably would've got a thin 3 inch line of gold. I'll try again tomorrow with another 50 cups through the sluice, then weigh the results to determine about what 50 pounds of material produces.

On the way back from working up at the "Sky's the Limit" observatory and Nature Center, I stopped by the local AutoZone, and picked up a cheap grease gun and tube of synthetic grease. I'd already greased the mill this morning, but not sure how good a job it was. Will use the new grease gun before running the mill tomorrow.

How often should I grease the bearings? Every two hours of use or 3, 4 or what? Right now my temperatures are in the high 70's at 6 AM, and in the 90's by 9AM. So I try to be done before 8AM.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Mill is back in operation. It runs smoothly. Unfortunately it doesn't like my desert heat, and shut off when the motor got too hot. It wasn't the material in the housing. It just doesn't like 100+F temperatures.

I'm going to stick with milling one bucket in the morning. That'll give me about 60 percent smaller than 80 mesh.

I ran my combination of dirt/pea gravel from the club claim old timer waste pile, and actually got what I consider good gold from just 25 cups. If I had run the normal 75 cups, I probably would've got a thin 3 inch line of gold. I'll try again tomorrow with another 50 cups through the sluice, then weigh the results to determine about what 50 pounds of material produces.

On the way back from working up at the "Sky's the Limit" observatory and Nature Center, I stopped by the local AutoZone, and picked up a cheap grease gun and tube of synthetic grease. I'd already greased the mill this morning, but not sure how good a job it was. Will use the new grease gun before running the mill tomorrow.

How often should I grease the bearings? Every two hours of use or 3, 4 or what? Right now my temperatures are in the high 70's at 6 AM, and in the 90's by 9AM. So I try to be done before 8AM.
Frequency may be mentioned in the users manual. Probably no harm in over lubrication though.
FYI In the olden days (and maybe still?) we would squeeze the grease until it began to ooze out around the end of the shaft or whatever. The inner part should be sealed to prevent contamination of the product. Wipe the excess off so you have a clean indicator for next time.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Frequency may be mentioned in the users manual. Probably no harm in over lubrication though.
FYI In the olden days (and maybe still?) we would squeeze the grease until it began to ooze out around the end of the shaft or whatever. The inner part should be sealed to prevent contamination of the product. Wipe the excess off so you have a clean indicator for next time.

Good luck.
Wish there was a user's manual. All I got was the machine. I think there's an online information sheet on their website though..

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck.
Still the same a little squeeze until the grease shows / oozes out. You can see it on the side of the bearing. frequency depends on usage / hours. I bought used so no manual.

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did the lube job on the mill this morning. I squeezed until I saw grease start to escape from the bearings.

I finished my unprofessional assay of the old timer waste pile dirt/pea gravel. Based on what I get from the cement mixer ball mill for the material larger than 80 mesh, and sluicing the material a second time, as well as general results from the sludge I redo, the expected weigh is about 3/4 gram per ton. Not very good, but for my situation, fairly good.

The material came from the middle of this waste pile, versus the previous assay results that gave virtually nothing that were from the end of this waste pile.

The closer I did go the mine shaft in this waste pile, the better the gold seems to be.

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went out to the club claim for two reasons this morning.

First was to dig into the rock that I started downhill from an old timer surface mine. I wanted to see if the rock below the disintegrated surface stuff had gold in it. It does, and if possibly 1/2 gram in 5 tons is commercially viable, then that would be fine for the business mining it. For me, it's a total waste of time. The gold that was in the rock was the smallest I've ever seen, just visible in a 10X loupe. I'll process the rock I hauled home, but won't dig for basically nothing. The ore, when crushed and dry, looked like cement, and when wet was like glue until I stirred it into suspension. There was some brownish colored material mixed in, and I believe that's where the gold came from. The first 12 inches has lots of thos brownish rock in it, and what I processed gave fairly good gold.

I second reason for my trip was for "The Sky's the Limit Observatory and Nature Center". I'm back doing volunteer landscaping work, and am presently restoring the berm that circles the Orrery to prevent flood water from destroying it. Ten years ago I built that 100 foot diameter berm, but no one has bothered to maintain it. Our visitors climb all over it dislodging the rocks, or the kids play on it, removing the rocks to build something. I'm replacing the smaller rocks with fist sized and larger in the hope they will stay put. Seems people would rather risk tripping and falling because the stones they climb move, rather than walk 25 feet to one of the three entrances to the Orrery. Never understood how lazy humans can let themselves be, then do something like disregarding the safety signs, and go right ahead an climb and fall on their face. And since the private facility doesn't belong to these visitors, they could care less if they destroy something while visiting. Like I said, I'll never understand humans.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Yep , it's a shame that people are so inconsiderate and careless when it comes to other people's land ! I've seen this also happen around my Neiborhood and signs DID'NT help at all , infact it got them to be MORE inconsiderate ! I don't know what to think of some people sometimes ! Maybe get some of the club member's to setup another volunteer groop to a once a month trip to go over and help keep the land looking presentable ! Back when I was in our club ,when we went out for our monthly prospector's outing , we would FIRST do a cleanup of that area that we were going to work and then hang the trash bag up in a obvious place that we were going to work and when some inconsiderate person came along and commented oh how we were ruining the land we would point o that bag of trash and say back at them , "This is the trash other people left and we picked it up and will haul it off to our trash pickup at our home !" What have you done to help keep this property clean ????????? This button's their lip for more comment's ! :hello2:

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep , it's a shame that people are so inconsiderate and careless when it comes to other people's land ! I've seen this also happen around my Neiborhood and signs DID'NT help at all , infact it got them to be MORE inconsiderate ! I don't know what to think of some people sometimes ! Maybe get some of the club member's to setup another volunteer groop to a once a month trip to go over and help keep the land looking presentable ! Back when I was in our club ,when we went out for our monthly prospector's outing , we would FIRST do a cleanup of that area that we were going to work and then hang the trash bag up in a obvious place that we were going to work and when some inconsiderate person came along and commented oh how we were ruining the land we would point o that bag of trash and say back at them , "This is the trash other people left and we picked it up and will haul it off to our trash pickup at our home !" What have you done to help keep this property clean ????????? This button's their lip for more comment's ! :hello2:
Unfortunately, this isn't a club that oversees "The Sky's the Limit". It's a group of older People (60's to 80's) who oversee a nonprofit organization, all volunteers. Heck, the group only has about 10 people. Only three actively work at building or maintaining the property, including myself. I had been gone from the organization about three years, as I had gotten burned out, but returned last month to volunteer my services as an amateur astronomer, and again act as a groundskeeper. I'm the only one that does that. I'm 73 years young, so I can't do as much anymore, and the others are not capable of doing the type of work I do, with the exception of the other two, who primarily work on electrical and the structures. Wish some of you were local, and could help out. I only have a few more years before I can't do things like I'm doing now. I have degenerative neuropathy which makes it difficult to do this work, as well as my gold mining, but I still press on trying to stay as fit as I can.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
My hat is off to you for all that you and other's have unselfishly done so that other's may enjoy something nice ! I know the feeling , I'll be 77 in a few months and stopped helping other's do thing's at my expense ! I've been helping other's for 33 year's ! Time for me to get my work done ! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread