Whoknows

Greenie
Feb 18, 2012
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 E-Trac Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am starting a new thread. This thread is help people identify places we cannot hunt. Please post any information you have.

1 . Cook County Forest Preserves- http://legacy.cookcountygov.com/secretary/Forest Preserve/FY2012/4-4FPDAgendaPOST BOARD.pdf

2. Most of the Illinois State Parks do not allow metal detecting. The ones in the link we are allowed to hunt with permit. http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/programs/DayUse/metaldetect.htm

3. The city of Morton Grove does not allow metal detecting.

4. Du page County Forest Preserves does not allow metal detecting.

5. Kane County Forest Preserves does not allow metal detecting.

If you are not sure about a place you can hunt please post here and DO NOT CALL. Post the general area here. Other members will chime in. Then I will update as needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whoknows

Whoknows

Greenie
Feb 18, 2012
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reserved

OP
OP
Whoknows

Whoknows

Greenie
Feb 18, 2012
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reserved!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Great idea! Only concern is the trolls and lurkers who may call anyplace not on this list to see if they can hunt there. A lot of places have become closed to hunting because of calls, where as prior to anyone at the desk even being aware, no restrictions were in place.

So may I suggest you add in that no one can hunt anywhere that they feel the need to call up first?

Floyd

Jan 17, 2011
Right behind you
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea! Only concern is the trolls and lurkers who may call anyplace not on this list to see if they can hunt there. A lot of places have become closed to hunting because of calls, where as prior to anyone at the desk even being aware, no restrictions were in place.

So may I suggest you add in that no one can hunt anywhere that they feel the need to call up first?

I would have to say I agree with you on this with the exception of private land, but that's a obvious right?

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started back in 1985, Morton Grove banned detecting

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean you can't hunt in Morton Grove? :BangHead:

shoot

Mar 28, 2012
IL,FL,CA,AZ,VA,PA,MI,CO - I get around.
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV , Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Du page County Forest Preserves.
To go along with that area another member a year or so ago posted he was hunting Naperville and got ticketed for digging, not detecting though..

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were never allowed to dig in the ccfp. It's been a policy for years only now they refined the wording.

But people did it.

It's been a major issue lately cause they redefined the wording.

A issue that has people pointing fingers....

You never were allowed to DIG in them.. So everyone that has hunted them including myself has broken the law ( policy )

OP
OP
Whoknows

Whoknows

Greenie
Feb 18, 2012
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Du page County Forest Preserves.
To go along with that area another member a year or so ago posted he was hunting Naperville and got ticketed for digging, not detecting though..
Thanks for the update

amxfred

May 14, 2011
Dekalb, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Sunray X-1 Probe & Auvio wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is not allowed to hunt Kane County Forest Preserves.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
To sum up county ords in the area, ALL collar counties in the Chicago Metro area are officially off limits to MD'es in their FP or conservation areas. That's Cook, Lake, McHenry, Boone, Dekalb, wait a minute, working my way clockwise... or is it counter clockwise?

Kane (ARGHHH!!!!) and DuPage (double ARGHHH!!!) Feel free to call those places in spite of my earlier admonishment, since the answer will be consistent with this information.

Individual communities vary wildly in their ords. One of my local parks got a new grounds crew last year and their new head said I could not hunt the fields (baseball and soccer) in that park anymore. Didn't argue, didn't start up with the "I've been hunting here since you were in diapers", etc..., thing. Just kindly obliged him and moved on. Head of the parks department was there at the time and he lost his keys in the field we were at...

Wished I could have helped him...

I know of another nearby town where no place is off limits except the one park with a full time grounds crew. The only thing keeping me from hunting it is the one guy in charge, no one else gives a hoot. Like the local case, he will move on in time and that will be the end of that. As long as he/they don't move up. Since these gigs are almost always cases of nepotism or patronage, they usually don't last long.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering if this post will be seen by other municipalities who currently allow it, and decide to jump on the banning bandwagon. Know what I mean?

amxfred

May 14, 2011
Dekalb, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Sunray X-1 Probe & Auvio wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I contributed to this thread but I think Marinedad is right. It may do more harm than good. Maybe this should be closed.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
I've probably run into 4 or 5 newbies in the last year who were not only completely unfamiliar with rules, but local codes and restrictions.

I share the same concerns about putting anything, either way, where we can or can't hunt in print for lurkers and the truly ever-present careless ones.

But we can do some people a favor by having this info up front. And when you see someone MD'ing engage them in conversation, let them know there are places to go for info on rules, how-to's, etc...

And yeah, I would like to see millions more people swinging detectors, of course there'd be less for me to find. Then again there'd be more people who have a stake in freeing up our public land for public use.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Crystal Lake and I am trying to figure out some legal places to MD.
Seems like the only thing I can come up with are parks and the public beaches.
And to be honest, I am not even sure if those are ok.
I have been MDing around an elementary school on the weekends, but again I don't know if I am allowed to do that.
I have lived in Crystal Lake almost all my life, so maybe I could spark a conversation about wanting to find some history to my home town.
Any suggestions?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi Dark, I think you have things backwards. It's not an issue of whether you/we are "allowed" to do our hobby, but rather ............. turn it around the other way: You would wonder if there are any prohibitions saying you can't.

For example: no one "wonders if they're allowed to fly frisbees" in the park, right? Instead, one assumes he can fly frisbees, unless there were a rule saying: "No frisbee flying".

So instead of thinking you/we need "express permission" (as if there's going to be some verbage somewhere saying "metal detecting allowed"), instead, you assume you can go, if there's no specific prohibition saying you can't.

NOW OF COURSE this should not imply that simply because there's not a rule (like on a sign or the park brochure passed out at the kiosk) saying "no metal detectors", that ....ergo ... you can go waltz over people's beach blankets, leave craters, be a nuisance, etc.... I mean, c'mon, a little common sense is still in order. We're in an odd hobby that has draws the stares of the curious, and has connotations. So you still need to pick "off-times" (low traffic) and avoid busy-bodies. Ie.: if they're tending the park or school that day for lawn-mowing, well pick another place to go for right then, etc.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread