What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Plaque piece?

Nathan W

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
3,468
Reaction score
10,885
Golden Thread
0
Found between old homesite and mill site. It's got some fancy writing on it but can make it out. I think it's brass. It's thick. Maybe someone was practicing engraving skills?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8940.webp
    IMG_8940.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_8941.webp
    IMG_8941.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8942.webp
    IMG_8942.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
Maybe try either a pencil rubbing over paper.
White chalk works also to highlight, then
reverse the image to read it.
Cool piece, hope you're able to read it.
 
Upvote 3
How did you take that image?

I used PaintShop Pro to mirror the image and then converted it to a colour negative. Reversing the colours often gives better contrast against the background when designs or inscriptions are created from single lines.
 
Upvote 7
I used PaintShop Pro to mirror the image and then converted it to a colour negative. Reversing the colours often gives better contrast against the background when designs or inscriptions are created from single lines.
In natural light it appears to have other designs on it underneath the script. Bit can't really make it out. It might be flowers or something
 
Upvote 2
Maybe a printing plate/stamp.
That’s what I wondered. I remember graduating HS seniors used to get their names on card stock. They were sent out with graduation announcements. This process began with engraved plates (mirror-image)
 
Upvote 2
I have no idea why or how those printing plates, numbers, letters, advertisement plates, ended up spread around in our soil, but I have found many of them over the years metal detecting.
 
Upvote 3
That’s what I wondered. I remember graduating HS seniors used to get their names on card stock. They were sent out with graduation announcements. This process began with engraved plates (mirror-image)
Interesting
 
Upvote 1
Really neat plaque with fancy script! First letter of the last word could be a "T" or "F" and the last 3 letters "ton" or "son". With the top of the lower case letters worn away - its tough.
 
Upvote 1
Really neat plaque with fancy script! First letter of the last word could be a "T" or "F" and the last 3 letters "ton" or "son". With the top of the lower case letters worn away - its tough.
It is tough could be Miss or three words could be a name ,first middle last
 
Upvote 1
I second what pepperj suggested and trying a magnifying glass. Even if a few letters of each word can be determined it might be enough to guess the rest. If it is a name, it would be cool if it was someone who lived nearby at one time.
 

Attachments

  • Plate.webp
    Plate.webp
    110.5 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 2
I second what pepperj suggested and trying a magnifying glass. Even if a few letters of each word can be determined it might be enough to guess the rest. If it is a name, it would be cool if it was someone who lived nearby at one time.
Almost looks as if middle word could be Vivian
 
Upvote 2
I thought the first letter of the second word might be "N" with a big loop at the top - but it could be a "V".
 
Upvote 0
That engraving was done by a well trained jewelry engraver. Brass is soft so it’s possible to engrave it with a push graver. What’s amazing to me is the skill to layout the letters in reverse, then cut backwards lettering. I’ve engraved guns for many yrs and that takes some real skill. Lettering is something people look at everyday so any mistake is really obvious. Here’s an example of my lettering. Gold inlaid into steel. Steel is too hard for push engraving so a hammer and chisel are needed.
IMG_9963.webp
 
Upvote 9

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Measuring weight?
Replies
3
Views
404
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Dollhouse piece?
Replies
10
Views
874

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom