Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Recently I've been following your cues and going to local ballfields. Haven't found anything old yet, and this begs a question or two:

First, I mostly check the bleachers and sidelines. I don't much want to tear up their playing field, so... short of the offseason, is it worth it to hunt the outfield?

Second, I'd wondered if maybe ballfields were good hunting spots because they've not been developed yet. True or false?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget that & research old land that is now ploughed.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No reason you can't do both. Just pick the right time of year. I've had good luck on ball fields myself. Of course, being here in San Diego, we don't have many old plouged fields! On a baseball field, I've had my best luck where the infield meets the outfield and the foul ground areas where people work out or practice. On football fields, from the 10 yard line into the end zones seems best but check the whole field and sidelines where the rest of the team stands around. Bleachers are junk city. If I decide to hunt them, I bring a heavy rake and clean out all the crap underneath first.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No reason you can't do both. Just pick the right time of year. I've had good luck on ball fields myself. Of course, being here in San Diego, we don't have many old plouged fields! On a baseball field, I've had my best luck where the infield meets the outfield and the foul ground areas where people work out or practice. On football fields, from the 10 yard line into the end zones seems best but check the whole field and sidelines where the rest of the team stands around. Bleachers are junk city. If I decide to hunt them, I bring a heavy rake and clean out all the crap underneath first.
You try the best land available at what ever time you try. It varies over the time of year & the amount of permission you have. Increase both & increase your treasure.

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done ball fields in the past. Parks and Recs put signs up. NO METAL DETECTING. I went to city hall, actually spoke to the Mayor and proposed permit for hobby. He suggested go to the committee and proposed my idea. That was in the late winter FY2011 and no answer yet. I had luck outside fence line...The panel was good with questions, but one panel member was a little annoyed with my quality Q&A. I stated to take permit fees collected and buy grass seed when /after youth play soccer with spike on feeds that are dirty and torn up.
If can do it and move quickly and move on prior to city employees show up. Dig fast and furious!

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This year before baseball season started I managed to pull an Indian Head less than 10 feet from the pitchers mound where my 7 year old plays..the key is to find old dirt..remember there may have been something else on that spot 100 years ago.Dont think of what is there now,find out what was there then.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just don't do anything unintelligent that would get you thrown out or others down the road.
Use your head.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many playing fields up here are posted "Keep off the grass". Huh:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread