PLEASE HELP *Buying my first detector"

ecam1495

Oct 18, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone, I'm interested in getting into some detecting on my spare time and believe now is the time to get my first detector. I am on a strict budget so that is the main reason I didn't get into it sooner because detectors tend to be expensive. So, next week for boxing week sales, a store has the Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 metal detector on sale for $99, at a regular price of $199. At half price this seems like a good time to buy, I'm not looking for any thing fancy just an entry level detector. Will this work for me? or will i have problems and wish i waited for a better one right after purchase? Thank you for any info it really helps.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 425
Upvote 0

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not familiar with this model, either, but it can be obtained for less than $99 online.
I would suspect relicmeister is correct that you would be able to locate a more capable used detector without having to bump your budget too far....and that you would be more satisfied.
The difference between well-respected detectors selling for $300-600 and the 'bargain basement' models are generally pretty substantial

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it depends on what you are using it for. Just coins and such or are you looking for small amounts of gold?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of which detector you buy, you'll always want a better one!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For an entry level detector it will work just fine. That thing will work better in tot lots than expensive detectors with dd coils by getting closer to poles. All depends on what kind of hunting your going to do. If you like this hobby and want to upgrade keep the bounty hunter for a loaner. My grandkids do fine with one just like it.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get what you can afford. If you find that you really enjoy detecting, then you can upgrade hopefully later on down the road. I would check around on some good used detectors though..........some times can get a really good machine on the cheap........

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As an entry level detector this will work fine. Don't expect amazing depth but they are easy to operate and I am sure you will become addicted to the hobby! :hello2: My first detector was a Bounty Hunter. I still have it, works great.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think no matter what machine you get, you just need to give it some time and learn the different sounds your machine makes on the different targets you find. In metal detecting it is more often the Archer and not the Arrow.

Ohh, and the amount of time spent in the field

Cheers - Koffee

Last edited:

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look for a used, or even new Fisher F2. They are awesome detectors and come at a great value!

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better than F2 on the beach, gets about 4" on a quarter. I wish I had better, but for the beach its all I'ge got.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only 4" on the beach?? My 43 year old BFO machine would do that!

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only 4" on the beach?? My 43 year old BFO machine would do that!

Yeah, my F2 can do a lot better than that! We're you using it on the dry sand?

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
In the 3 years I've detected with Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, have enjoyed digging silver, gold, & relics in fields, beaches, parks, abandoned dirt roads. Easy to use & depth is good! With your tight budget, also spring for a $25 Harbor Freight pinpointer which will save you lots of time with each find! (May have to replace that pinpointer switch but only $5 & easy to install yourself). My son shared our Bounty Hunter for 2 years finding more silver & gold than I did, before he upgraded to a Teknetics this year for greater depth and precision. Have FUN! Andi

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get a Tesoro Compadre with the 8" coil for about $160 and maybe a bit less if you call one of the forum sponsors. At that price you will have a detector that is simple, effective, life time warranty, and has decent depth. If not the Compadre look at a Fisher F2. Both can be had on ebay used. The used Compadres on ebay go for almost the price of a new one.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought one of these as my first detector and it worked very well for me, I now use my Ace250 more but still take the BH with me to detect in tight areas. I have found many a coin and other neat stuff with it. good beginner machine.

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Go to pawn shops, classifieds and such and get a better detector for less. Nothing wrong with a good used detector, better than new cheap one

Cali49erAU

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2014
El Paso, Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I detect with a fisher gold bug pro, my 8 year old an ace 250 which would be my recommendation as a starter machine. Easy to use and very versatile. Most stores i.e walmart and radioshack don't have good detectors need to go to specialty store and need to be careful on line as a lot higher end detectors are being sold are knockoffs only authorized dealers can sell many brands. The only place I'll by besid es the manufacturer online is kellycodetectors.com. They can also help you decide what detector best fits your needs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions