Please help identify, so far has stummped geologist from university.

PattyGailG.

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2021
received_718318885169598.jpeg

OP
P

PattyGailG.

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2021
The place it was collected is unknown. I bought it from a rockhound friend who doesn't share his hunting locations.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Forum from Texas :wave:

Your rock looks like Unakite imo. v

"This metamorphic rock is formed when granite is altered by hydrothermal activity. Unakite--also referred to as epidote/epidotized granite--blends green epidote, pink orthoclase feldspar and clear quartz and can contain trace amounts of other materials such as magnetite or zircon."

Geology.com - Unakite

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the green on it I would think some copper is in it along with some Iron or galena and rose quartz it came from a highly mineralized area probably from a tailings pile at a gold mine it also looks like maybe some sulphur in it also. IMO I have found some beautiful turquoise at a gold mine in the tailings piles as it wasn't what they were after but your specimen would say they were on the trail of gold because the minerals run together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread