Please help me ID this found in colorado

Jackedupjack

Nov 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, my father went turkey hunting and found this and gave it to me and I've always wanted to know what it is. He was in
colorado springs, colorado. If you shine a light on it, you can see it go through on the edges. Its pretty sharp and slightly curved inwards on each side. Sorry that my pictures are not that great, but I hope there good enough to help identify it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1119160835c.jpg
    1119160835c.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 1119160835a.jpg
    1119160835a.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 139

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You give very little to work with. Any idea of what it might be made of? Metal? Plastic? Wood?

It almost looks like the sides are slightly concave, like a 3-sided ruler often used for drafting. Is about the right dimensions in every way but length. ...Could there be a really short version out there??

What is the actual length?

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things come to mind, the first being a WW1 trench knife (three sharp edges), the other being a tree sided jewelers file.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and take pictures in natural light they will turn out better.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You say you can see light through the edges. Is it not metal? Is it colored glass?

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Hey Jack,
First off welcome to the madness.
We look forward to hearing from you more.
Now Don't leave us jackedup on this....
Give us a bit more info to go on.
Are there any markings on it? Can you clean it up anymore?
Give us a closer pictures from all angles in some better light. It might show it better.
These are all things that will help with the ID.
Good luck on a positive ID, I'm curious to find out what it is also.

Upvote 0

Coach Stack

Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
AT Pro Pointer
Kelllyco Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't need to know an exact location, but Colorado is a state where location is really important. What was it near? A mine, military base, ghost town, in the mountains or on the plains? btw I live here so I'd love to help id it.
(If you get back on please answer...)

Upvote 0

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It is truly unfortunate that further information and especially pictures of edges and the bottom face were not included.

However, based on the light reflections of the picture and the approximate scale of the penny vs the object, I believe:

1) The object is made of either a mineral, glass, ceramic, or something similar. You mentioned light shines through it, and clearly it is shiny in the picture.
2) The object is roughly 1.75 inches long, just over .75 inches wide, and anywhere between about .33 and .75 inches tall (perspective makes it impossible to be certain).

Accordingly, I posit three possible IDs for this piece, in order of what I think is most likely.

1) A shard/potsherd of a corner from either a rectangular bottle or some sort of kitchenware.

iron-pontil-mark.jpg

2) A possibly lightly used piece of tristar-cut tumbling/deburring/polishing/grinding/etc media, made of e.g., ceramic (they do come in green)

1-160F2150002.jpg

3) A fractured portion of any number of green/brown minerals which, by happenstance, appear to have the approximate shape of a triangular prism

il_570xN.706619583_hi2k.jpg

Ultimately, the thing to remember is that, in nature, this sort of pseudo-triangular (incurvated faces) "prism" shape is very rare, has limited applications in man-made products, and most examples of it come from math problem exercises in university-level mathematics courses. As a result, whatever you have is almost certainly a broken piece of something else that had a different overall form and shape. A consideration of the area should point you in the direction of how likely it is to be broken piece of something man-made (e.g., high-traffic area or historically populated area with dumping evidence) or something natural (e.g., lots of other rocks, minerals on the ground, particular near moving water that may have river-tumbled the object after cleavage from a larger piece).

Upvote 0

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One hit wonders are becoming more prominent; however, it's been three days. The Moderators do monitor.

aj

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread