Please post your suggestions and comments!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
I think if we abide by the code of ethics displayed here at Treasure-Net we will all be better for it.
I do not think we need to be so radical or self governing that we tear ourselves apart over a hobby. It is just a hobby maybe a passionate hobby but we should keep it fun and simple nevertheless.
Does not everyone see how ridiculous it would be to GPS a coin spill. Let alone start posting GPS coordinates,lol. I own and have owned many hand help GPS units. Problem is I already know where MY sites are located. I found them treasure hunting. Its the dream of everyone. Why give locations to people who are to lazy to get out and find their own litlle spot? This is ridiculous.

TnMountains

Are you not reading this post fully?. No-one is going to be stupid enough to share a good spot without confidence that it will NOT BE PUBLIC. Whether you wish to share it or not, doesn't stop you doing it for historic finds (& keeping it private, until you have finished with the site) & I'm not talking about modern coin spills. I am speaking another lanauge?

Do I look like I'm suffering from being a fool? I hope not, & I can at least say to anyone that I have detailed records.

(maybe that has been suggested by others, but its not how it works over here)

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
hogge said:
Who is THEY? In a perfect world, where everyone is honest...MAYBE this holds true. In the real world, there is lying, deceit, and covenance. :sign13:

'They' in this case are the civil service/Museum services. If they were to break my trust though any of the above then the information would stop. (other than those covered by UK Law). Never in all the years I have recorded have they broken my confidence. Your worries are based on fear, & maybe the odd bad egg. Why join the bad egg club?
Spend some time in the States and tell me how many "Bad Eggs" you see! :headbang: :laughing7: Gotta go to Wal-Mart (my favorite store) :help:, But I'll be back ;D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
TnMountains said:
I think if we abide by the code of ethics displayed here at Treasure-Net we will all be better for it.
I do not think we need to be so radical or self governing that we tear ourselves apart over a hobby. It is just a hobby maybe a passionate hobby but we should keep it fun and simple nevertheless.
Does not everyone see how ridiculous it would be to GPS a coin spill. Let alone start posting GPS coordinates,lol. I own and have owned many hand help GPS units. Problem is I already know where MY sites are located. I found them treasure hunting. Its the dream of everyone. Why give locations to people who are to lazy to get out and find their own litlle spot? This is ridiculous.

TnMountains
AWESOME reply. My interests are protected by keeping my mouth shut. When it comes to $ and my spots this is what I do. HUH...Too bad I can't keep my opinions to myself too ;D, but it just doesn't work for me!

'My interests' - this is a telling answer.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my hunting is ancient artifacts up to 12,000 years old. Most is out of context so Gps would not work. I list location with item and research time frame. Hunting civil war I list sites and items found and know what battle it was due to research before going in. I do not record exact locations of dropped or fired bullets and items found. Though I often speculate on trajectory and kinetic energy of tumbling non rifled shot.
I say you are doing a fine job in the way you hunt. You do not sound like you are on a fools mission nor do you seem to speak a diffrent language. You just have your way of hunting and I have mine.
Good luck in your hunts.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Short of rivers and creek: farms, and shall displacement, such is most likely in some context. Yet not out of context enough to say the people were not there. Even that info can be of use in area covered patterns. Especially in the palio situation.
Some of the sites were just retooling stops. It does not take much to be a site. Yet it would not make for a recordable site. More info on such the better. Such info can change a site from a seasonal situation to a full time lived in the area situation.

TnMountains said:
Most of my hunting is ancient artifacts up to 12,000 years old. Most is out of context so Gps would not work. I list location with item and research time frame. Hunting civil war I list sites and items found and know what battle it was due to research before going in. I do not record exact locations of dropped or fired bullets and items found. Though I often speculate on trajectory and kinetic energy of tumbling non rifled shot.
I say you are doing a fine job in the way you hunt. You do not sound like you are on a fools mission nor do you seem to speak a diffrent language. You just have your way of hunting and I have mine.
Good luck in your hunts.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostcauses said:
Short of rivers and creek: farms, and shall displacement, such is most likely in some context. Yet not out of context enough to say the people were not there. Even that info can be of use in area covered patterns. Especially in the palio situation.
Some of the sites were just retooling stops. It does not take much to be a site. Yet it would not make for a recordable site. More info on such the better. Such info can change a site from a seasonal situation to a full time lived in the area situation.

TnMountains said:
Good luck in your hunts.

I agree if you found pure paleo at a certain level your excavation skills and recovery style should change to be exactly recorded as accuratley as possible with photograhy and in-situ and a general gps reading would not hurt. I have 4000 acres off the cumberland Plateu and you would think I would find paleo...someday.....someday :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Good luck in your hunts.

oh well, good luck to you. My last comment is, that all of my recorded GPS finds are out of context as they are in ploughed fields. Still better information than none at all.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
LOL you will, and of course were you will least expect it.

TnMountains said:
lostcauses said:

TnMountains said:
Good luck in your hunts.

I agree if you found pure paleo at a certain level your excavation skills and recovery style should change to be exactly recorded as accuratley as possible with photograhy and in-situ and a general gps reading would not hurt. I have 4000 acres off the cumberland Plateu and you would think I would find paleo...someday.....someday :)

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
hogge said:
TnMountains said:

TnMountains
AWESOME reply. My interests are protected by keeping my mouth shut. When it comes to $ and my spots this is what I do. HUH...Too bad I can't keep my opinions to myself too ;D, but it just doesn't work for me!

'My interests' - this is a telling answer.
Yes..I have my own interests and they will never change. As regards to the whole GPS thing... I do not agree for the reasons I have mentioned. We are both, obviously, seasoned metal detectorists, and history buffs, that research all of our finds and sites with great accuracy, but somewhat differ on decorum. No big deal. I like a good debate, as I am somewhat,(very), opinionated.(AKA I'm right until proven wrong). Maybe we can continue this "debate" tomarrow as it must be way past your bedtime. :D Hogge

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not an archaeologist, I never will be an archaeologist, an I am not about to start acting like an archaeologist!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
I am not an archaeologist, I never will be an archaeologist, an I am not about to start acting like an archaeologist!

Firstly 'Morning' to Hogge :wink: :icon_thumright:

Now on to the above. No one is asking you to be an Archaeologist, not even I want to study for 3 years & get one of the lowest paid jobs of a post-graduate (not sure if this is true of the US?), but its true here.

All Tnet was trying to do is improve 'our lot'. They & we should try & put ourselves in a light that can easily be defendable.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Archeoligist are nothing but graverobbers and claimjumpers with a degree >:( , who have taken many a good treasure site away from the legitimate finders :'( .

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lobsterman said:
Archaeologist are nothing but graverobbers and claimjumpers with a degree >:( , who have taken many a good treasure site away from the legitimate finders :'( .

I am sure much has been lost from finders to Archaeologist but I feel that they do important work in preserving and recording history. What good would it all be sitting on a shelf at my house.
The amateurs and the archaeologist should be able to work together. It should never be about us against them. There is much to be learned from both sides of the fence.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lostcauses said:
Tom_in_CA Thanks for reminding me the what the first statement about any relic hunting should be

It is not a right: it is a privilege. If this privilege is abused, the authority will most likely be forced to ban it.

very good point

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, i just got the GPS location of the "ROSETTA STONE" AND THE GREEK TEMPLE STONES, THEY DON,T SEEM TO BE IN THE RIGHT LOCATION.The fact the rightful owners have asked for these treasures back for 50 years . Funny that a few suggest we do this and do that and their own house is not in order. i mentioned only 2 and theres many more.Most archaeologial organizations are funded by our taxs.This makes them public servants and they should do the right thing .I suggest lobby to get the RIGHT thing done..............................hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................... When all is fare for all i will listen but thats never going to happen. Might be an idea to return all the roman coins back to their rightful owners too. That won,t happen either.

I have no problem with Marc changing any thing on TN As the owner he reserves the right.But i will not be preached too :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: by other guests.

tinpan

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this reply Tin Pan. If I found it, I'll do what I want with it, and it's nobodies business where I found it!

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I agree with you guys on most of this?What would most do in this case? Bronze cannon stuck inside of hill on high bluff area?Would you cover it back up and keep checking out the site?Tell someone with the state? Try and get it home :P and say its mine ,i can do with it what i want,and it's nobodies business.........

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
I want to answer your direct question but it is open ended. What are YOUR guidelines for classification of a "significant historical" find? Would my "Royal Irish Artillery, cartridge box sling belt tip" qualify as such? It's tied to one of the greatest battles in our nations history, The Battle of Saratoga. Or what about the 1783 CFT. KG III half penny? That's a significant historical find as it shows where these coins circulated to. (too bad on this one, as it's already been sold) ;D. .........

It wouldn't matter if it had been sold or not if you had GPS recorded the artifact dispersal at the site.

I think your fear stems partially from wanting to be bull-headed, but more than that it's about the money for you. (Which is plain as day through your posts here over the past year.)

But I really think you (and others) are not so much concerned about a museum or archaeologists stealing your finds without compensation as you are worried that property owners looking online will find their own properties' GPS coordinates and see what was found that you didn't show them. If you're worried about the cost of such little things as postage and a $50 GPS unit, I have a question for you: Did you show the owner of the land your Rare King George Copper? How about the Vermont Copper? Or the Rev War Sling Belt Tip? You would have a Serious time fighting a lawsuit against them over something like that, because these are not Mercury dime finds we're talking about here. Those three finds total what? $8,000? More?

In the UK detectorists notify the property owners of their finds--and if the find is purchased for a museum, and the detectorist is compensated, then the owner is as well--right? Here in the U.S. there is no provision nor funding available to buy at fair market value anything we find. But posting finds and doing maps here might open up that type of funding in the future if enough detectorists started logging their finds. And museums might start looking on this forum regularly for locally found items to add to their collections, and make independent offers to the finders (if enough detectorists started logging their finds). That would be a win/win for the detectorist And the museum, which would rather have an item of local interest than an item with little provenance.

But back to issue #1, the issue of hogge and the property owners... The issue is simply this: that there is no mechanism in place to protect the property owner as it is, and likewise nothing to protect the detectorist from being sued, except for the policies of oral agreement, written contract, or just plain old-fashioned honesty--which many, it's sad to say, do not practice.

Issue #2 is establishing criteria for "significant" finds here in the U.S. Obviously this could be difficult, since a 1700s large sized flat button might not be as significant in New England as it would be in Nevada. But I think a sense of this would come in time, with some feedback from open-minded archaeologists.

The last issue appears to be the nighthawking one, but to be honest it shouldn't be. A person could submit the coordinates, log, and maps when they were finished hunting out the site. And no need to get up in arms about this. Cru said that 1 in 10 do this in the UK where there Is a system in place, perhaps flawed though it is. If 1 in 50 members do this here, then that's a start. It enables us to be in a position of knowledge, it makes us more immune to attack, and it contributes to the common history of us all.

Some of the finer points...

I don't know whether it is a bad or good idea to have archaeologists marked in some way with a badge or symbol in their avatar. On the one hand, it might create more strife and in-fighting, or some might think "they are taking over the forum." But on the other hand, it might create a more even balance here--hopefully with less of the "archie bashing" attitude that I have seen in the past!

BUT...for an archaeologist to Want to be a part of this site, there must be Real, Usable information for them here, and enough of it to justify putting up with the attitudes and expending the energy to try for a compromise. So I believe that the egg must come first in order for there to be a chicken or two. (In other words, we need to be creating useful information here first. Only then will doors start to open.)

I would like to see an open discussion led by the administration about how this new section of the forum will look, who exactly will be able to see our GPS coordinates, and how the administration will be able to confirm that anyone who is viewing such material is in fact a member of the archaeological community. (Sorry to put you on the spot, Marc. You may need a while to think on this, or some feedback from the members here first.) I do think it is Very important that the author of posts in a new section be viewable and contactable by the archaeological community so that questions can be asked if needed. I also think that the number of posts accumulating in the new section should be visible to other members (maybe not specific GPS coordinates or anything, but sheer numbers of posts)--in the hopes that folks who chose Not to do this will see the Numbers of posts being made on the rise. I also wonder if there would be more "takers" if such a section were a separate part of the forum (much like the "hot topics" threads) where folks could maintain their anonymity under another username or Tnet "identity."

And yet this also raises an issue or two... I would also like to hear from the administration of this forum about the ramifications of internet inquest by the legal system about one's identity or personal information. In other words, I have faith that anonymity could be "created" here--but can it be maintained?

These are all important questions, and some food good for thought.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I think any posts that have GPS co-ordinates in them should also state that the co-ordinateds are on private/publuc property and ( if on private) permission was granted by the land owner to detect and to post the GPS location.

Another suggestion:
On a small forum that I belong to, there is a section for local information. You can only access this particular section if you are a registered user of the forum, and log on.
Maybe this GPS/archaeological section could be set up like that so non-member lurkers would not be able to see that section ...only registered members of the forum who log on.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
One thing is for sure.They will never stop people from treasure hunting,they can try and make a topic like ( ASK AN ARCHIE) and give it a try...Most people will never go to them in their towns with the finds, but may talk online ...I think they should have a area on tnet that they can talk,and maybe lock it from others making coments.Just the archie and the finder other's can watch---- follow the post....If they are that worried & giving Marc a hard time about it.. With all the info online and the old maps plus google earth it has made finding the old sites very easy...Most people find things and don't even know if they are significant historical finds....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread