powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks, I literally just pulled this out of my back yard. Is this a hammered? I’m not making the same mistake I’ve made many times before and cleaning it. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562285450.391561.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562285466.353542.jpg

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use a toothbrush and warm water to remove the dirt. Just don't chemically clean it and you'll be ok.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GEEZ! It is a Spanish hammered Maravedis coin. These are very early, and anywhere from 15th to 18th century, most found in the US are 17th century. DO NOT put any chemicals, even water on it. Either use a toothpick to get the dirt off or get a set of the Andre's Pencils off Amazon or Ebay.

I think now I've found TWO in my entire life, so your find is outstanding!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GEEZ! It is a Spanish hammered Maravedis coin. These are very early, and anywhere from 15th to 18th century, most found in the US are 17th century. DO NOT put any chemicals, even water on it. Either use a toothpick to get the dirt off or get a set of the Andre's Pencils off Amazon or Ebay.

I think now I've found TWO in my entire life, so your find is outstanding!

Thanks for the ID! Just two weeks ago I found an early 1800's naval button about 50 feet away. Is this coin considered a cob?

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically, yes. Most people think of "cobs" as silver. I'm not 100% sure, but you have to realize most detectorists in the US don't find any hammered coins...ever.

Excellent job! Go get the rest of them. Your back yard is awesome. I let friends over a few times in my lawn. First guy was trying to sell me a machine called an XP Deus. At first I laughed at it, I mean, it was so SMALL a machine. So Bob, my buddy, goes out in the lawn and after about the 6th modern coin, he yells "I found a gold ring!". And he did! I bought that machine on the spot.

THEN I had my buddy Darryl come over. I dug with him after about the 6th coin. We found the Mercury dime I lost in the test garden, found TWO US gold $1.00 coins, a pre Civil War half, a kepi hat number "1", a huge silver ring, 1930's vintage and a Rev War period musket ball, plus toy cars, a 20' section of chain, and I wonder what else is out there! We also got a 5 gallon bucket of aluminum cans.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically, yes. Most people think of "cobs" as silver. I'm not 100% sure, but you have to realize most detectorists in the US don't find any hammered coins...ever.

Excellent job! Go get the rest of them. Your back yard is awesome. I let friends over a few times in my lawn. First guy was trying to sell me a machine called an XP Deus. At first I laughed at it, I mean, it was so SMALL a machine. So Bob, my buddy, goes out in the lawn and after about the 6th modern coin, he yells "I found a gold ring!". And he did! I bought that machine on the spot.

THEN I had my buddy Darryl come over. I dug with him after about the 6th coin. We found the Mercury dime I lost in the test garden, found TWO US gold $1.00 coins, a pre Civil War half, a kepi hat number "1", a huge silver ring, 1930's vintage and a Rev War period musket ball, plus toy cars, a 20' section of chain, and I wonder what else is out there! We also got a 5 gallon bucket of aluminum cans.

LOL thats a funny story about the Deus. HAHA. Your yard sounds similar to mine right down to the 50 gallon drum filled with beer cans I found when I first moved in. Ive pulled about 30 buttons out of the ground and with each one kept telling myself there must be coins here as well. Well today was the day. This cant be the only one. Im still learning how t use my V3I. Its a complicated machine but I started using Hi Pro with the gain jacked up to where its stable. Since then Ive just been ripping coins out of the ground no matter where I go.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still don't how to use the Deus. I set it on "idiot" mode, with me being the idiot, but go slow and dig most everything. Please post your buttons here and I can probably date them. Note: buttons with backmarks are 19th century with only about 1 exception. I have a lot of experience with buttons, and with that said, and with what else has come out of your lawn, we can probably get close to figuring what happened there. Maybe. I say maybe because once upon a time ago I found a Byzantine coin in SC and two years ago found two Roman coins in NJ and to round out that year, an Elizabeth I shilling (hammered silver) in Maryland. Early this year was a totally toasted 14th century silver hammered Germanic coin and a hammered Spanish cob from the same site in Maryland, but not the same place as the shilling.

It's out there. It's not easy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the buttons coming out are standard flat buttons with nothing on the back. Almost half, but not exactly do have markings on them such as Standard and Treble Guilt. 2 weeks ago I found this Naval Officers button. This was a real shocker.

62554183_10156823344258751_1636691472478633984_o.jpg

This is what I typically find however.
64297046_10156827898518751_7099887132801499136_o.jpg

My property was part of a much larger farm back in the Rev. War time. The farm house was no where near my lot however. Im thinking there may have been an earlier home near where my house is that isn't on any old maps that I have.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get pics of the backs of the flat buttons, and any ceramics I can date those. The ceramics are key date indicators. Buttons are a little harder.

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool, you all have cool yards too. My house sits on the site of a 1800’s tavern but there’s 20” of file over top making things hard to get at. Although once in a while something pops up. Nice job!!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe-Dirt, one word for you. Backhoe! Costs about $269 a day to rent here. I really should rent one a dig a big hole in my lawn. There is a gold vein under the house, and the backhoe would let me get down there faster. I am not joking, but can't do it right now due to doctors orders. It will take one more month of wasting my time sitting on the couch before I get the go ahead to do dumb things.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a John Deere with a back hoe. If your willing to split the gold Ill do all the work. LMAO

Upvote 0

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's amazing enough that you found that coin in the US, but to find it in your own yard is too much. I think I remember you posting the naval button. Didn't think you could top that!

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Spanish bronze!

Upvote 0

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still don't how to use the Deus. I set it on "idiot" mode, with me being the idiot, but go slow and dig most everything. Please post your buttons here and I can probably date them. Note: buttons with backmarks are 19th century with only about 1 exception. I have a lot of experience with buttons, and with that said, and with what else has come out of your lawn, we can probably get close to figuring what happened there. Maybe. I say maybe because once upon a time ago I found a Byzantine coin in SC and two years ago found two Roman coins in NJ and to round out that year, an Elizabeth I shilling (hammered silver) in Maryland. Early this year was a totally toasted 14th century silver hammered Germanic coin and a hammered Spanish cob from the same site in Maryland, but not the same place as the shilling.

It's out there. It's not easy.
Lol I had to reply to this comment, my At Pro is always on idiot mode as well I too and idiot. I can not get the hang of pro mode and learning the tones. I wish could as I'm sure I miss a lot of deep things. But like you I dig everything. I got a chuckle out of the comment glad I'm not the only one that can't get the more advanced modes down. Wish my brain was the kind that could though lol.

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations. Very nice

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread