What's new

plowed under farm house

dwebb210

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
There are two farms in my family that had old houses.

One of the old houses was owned by wealthy great great grandparents.

These houses were torn down and plowed under 30+ years ago, but we know where they were.

I don't even own a metal detector yet, but I think these might be good places to start a new hobby.

Question is, if there were any old coins lost over the years that eventually got plowed under, can a detector see that deep?

Also, I'm trying to decide between a White Spectra V3i and a Minelab Etrac.

Something that will be good for both dry ground/dirt/grass, as well as sandy wet water.

I hate investing in something and later wishing I had bought a better model.
 
1. Yes, those would be great places to detect. If they were just plowed, then many items will be at a good depth to be picked up by a detector. If they dug a hole and pushed the houses in, and buried them--then you may not have as much luck.

2. Get a beginning detector. If you invest in something high-end, you may get frustrated with the high learning curve. Most of detecting is now which detector you own, but rather where you go. I own two machines. One cost $400 close to 20 years ago. The other I bought used for $159 and it is a very basic model. Look at my annual finds posts. I've done ok. :wink:
 
If the field is an active farm field you will be able to get items as deep as the plow will go, and if you don't get them the first time, you will later.

No idea on the V3 but the high end Minelabs have very basic settings and it's just a matter of learning the sounds. I too jumped in spending over $1,000 for a first detector and glad I did, but did change about a year later. (Garrett to Minelab)

And.... there's probably a case to be made that changing detectors that are very different is just as hard as learning the first one even if basic. I think my Explorer was actually harder to learn because I was applying what I learned on the garrett and it didn't really work. :)
 
dwebb210 said:
How deep can an average MD penetrate?


The bigger the target, the deeper it will go. A quarter your probably looking at about a foot, and that's a good detector under good conditions. Something like a large iron pot you could get at a few feet. Keep in mind detector, settings, and experience does make a difference.
 
Coil size is important too. The bigger the coil, the deeper it will detect.
 
Kentucky Kache said:
Coil size is important too. The bigger the coil, the deeper it will detect.

Perfect setup for many jokes.
 
dwebb210 said:
Kentucky Kache said:
Coil size is important too. The bigger the coil, the deeper it will detect.

Perfect setup for many jokes.

Yeah, I guess so. And some people don't need much encouragement.
 
Kentucky Kache said:
dwebb210 said:
Kentucky Kache said:
Coil size is important too. The bigger the coil, the deeper it will detect.

Perfect setup for many jokes.

Yeah, I guess so. And some people don't need much encouragement.

I had several in mind, but managed to refrain. I'm too new.
 
I use a Minelab XS 2 Pro, and consistently get mercury dimes at 9 to 10 inches. Of course, I am hunting in a floodplain park, that has rich black soil down to about 2 feet, then clay. The only thing I ever found THAT deep was an old anvil and some horse shoes :icon_scratch: I scrapped the old rusty anvil several years ago.........NGE
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom