PNW Roadtrip 9/5/09

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Rich - thanks for the posts about GPS CRH - it's opened a whole new aspect to this addiction.

I was on the way to see a customer in BFE, so I figured I'd bring the GPS and give it a shot.
I found most banks were open 10-1 on SAT, but some were 10-5!

My GPS hunt netted $500+ in halves to search from over 10 banks, only one 40%, but some great leads.
I also learned a lot about different bank policies/practices.
Like a certain major bank that orders halves regularly and hands out searched Fed rolls that are folded over on one end... :dontknow:
How a certain local bank has a "no money exchange for non-members" policy... :icon_scratch:
That a kiosk bank in a grocery store can sometimes have what you want - and are anxious to get rid of it because space is at a premium... :headbang:
and finally, that some tellers will go out of their way to get rid of every last half in the building because they have been sitting on them for months.
I did find one "dump bank" (10 rolls of 71, 76 and other ick), but they haven't seen any other large coin deposits since.

I found that there are 3 banks near my regular dump banks that all have rolls of customer supplied halves and they are eager to sell. I just have to call them on Friday and they will "sell" the rolls to a Saturday teller so I can get them outside of the normal vault hours (one hour after opening to one hour before closing M-F).

Upvote 0
P.S. 3 "check cashing places" were also hit, they were a total skunk - no halves. I had to show one teller what a half looked like... :-\

Sounds like you could have competition in your area. Good luck on finding the silver though.

Golden Silver

Did a short one during lunch - Man Rich, I love this brand of high-tech CRH!
Found a BofA in a strip mall just 4 miles from work and asked for all their halves. The vault teller smiled and said "Sure, but you owe me Starbucks!". Well, they had $190.50, so I took it all.
Get back to work and open two rolls - first was s skunk, second made a magical sound I have never heard before - full roll of 40%.
:headbang:

Wow, the rest of the canvas sack they gave me could be Bicentennial Clad and I'd still be jazzed.

...and yes, it feels weird leaving the bank clutching a canvas bag half full of coin...

istockphoto_2894651-bank-robber.jpg

:thumbsup: GPS is the way to go on road trips. I found a bank hidden in a strip mall that I pass by once a week. Never knew the bank was there.
I believe I got $7.50 in loose 90's and 40's.

Rich

Rich Hartford said:
:thumbsup: GPS is the way to go on road trips. I found a bank hidden in a strip mall that I pass by once a week.
Not to mention that your GPS can help find your way back home after a day of road trippin. A big help for those of us that are youthfully challenged! :laughing7:

Totals are in:
3 solid rolls of 40%!!
'65 - 3
'66 - 11
'67 - 23
'68 - 13
'69 - 10

If it were a box, it would have been the same percentages as a dream box - wow...

Dang. That's a good haul! I hope we never cross paths in the field - we might crash into each other, and it'd be a hell of a time sorting out all of the silver!

My best congrAGs to you. Find more!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back