What's new

Poaching results 6/11

Ed,

Maybe what you poached was someone's rejects? There are so many reject hand rolls around here now I have stopped asking for them in town.

I am going to stick to boxes for a while. The banks here who use Brinks that went CWI for a week are now back to Brinks. Maybe it was just a temporary thing. Anyway, I went through 3 Brinks boxes this week and got 1-40%.

Hopefully more silver will enter the system soon due to the weakening economy.

Jim
 
Yep Jim you are right about someones dumps ... 1 brinks box opened all 2001Ds , approx. 540.00 in dumped handrolls and CWI box that was junk .... I knew that this area had some CRHers in it marked rolls , tellers mentioned that there was a bunch of guys who like to play poker with them , etc. ... But it was worth a shot they were delivered to me so I was not out much time or hassles to go and get them.... my favorite banks for handrolls I have cleaned out for halves so I will have to find some new turf to hunt for now.... if I was able to I would order about 4 boxes a day for a good fix but I dont have enough local banks to do it or enough time to travel to get them ... I live out in the boonies to say the least .... anyways glad to hear from you and best of luck with the boxes that you are doing , Ed
 
Sorry to hear this Ed. Bummer. I'm not even going to say it because I know you will keep plugging....darn, I said it anyway.....ha! Good luck on the next hunt Ed.

J4S - This is the time to hit the banks in my opinion.......with the current state of the economy.....gas prices, etc.....you might catch a small stash of silver coins being turned in. The knowledgeable collectors will obviously go to a dealer before just turning them into a bank for face, but (I hate to even think this) grandpa/grandma might not if they are in a bind or a little extra cash. The are many variables here....too many to list.

Sure, you will probably pick up someones dump more often but to me....it's the thrill of the hunt! Get them before they get to the Fed. That is just my opinion.

Little story - My friend took a little road trip last week and at one bank after asking for halves the teller (no halves available) mentioned there is a guy that stops there everyday checking to see if any halves have been turned in. This guy stops at every bank between his home and place of work...everyday!! If there is ever a stash turned in to any one of those banks.....he will get it.
 
LJ said:
Sorry to hear this Ed. Bummer. I'm not even going to say it because I know you will keep plugging....darn, I said it anyway.....ha! Good luck on the next hunt Ed.

J4S - This is the time to hit the banks in my opinion.......with the current state of the economy.....gas prices, etc.....you might catch a small stash of silver coins being turned in. The knowledgeable collectors will obviously go to a dealer before just turning them into a bank for face, but (I hate to even think this) grandpa/grandma might not if they are in a bind or a little extra cash. The are many variables here....too many to list.

Sure, you will probably pick up someones dump more often but to me....it's the thrill of the hunt! Get them before they get to the Fed. That is just my opinion.

Little story - My friend took a little road trip last week and at one bank after asking for halves the teller (no halves available) mentioned there is a guy that stops there everyday checking to see if any halves have been turned in. This guy stops at every bank between his home and place of work...everyday!! If there is ever a stash turned in to any one of those banks.....he will get it.


LJ,

I agree with you completely in theory, but for me it is a cost benefit thing. I run my own business, so I don't have time to run to banks all over the place looking for coins. The bad economy has slowed down things a bit and I really have to focus on bringing in more clients to my firm. If I am successful in that the rewards will allow me to buy bullion at the coin store and come out way ahead that if I just CRHed.

I really CRH more for the thrill of finding the silver as opposed to the money value of it. Not that I don't like the fact though that I am getting silver for face value. But the amount I can make in a year if things go well is way greater than the monetary rewards of CRHing.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
LJ said:
Sorry to hear this Ed. Bummer. I'm not even going to say it because I know you will keep plugging....darn, I said it anyway.....ha! Good luck on the next hunt Ed.

J4S - This is the time to hit the banks in my opinion.......with the current state of the economy.....gas prices, etc.....you might catch a small stash of silver coins being turned in. The knowledgeable collectors will obviously go to a dealer before just turning them into a bank for face, but (I hate to even think this) grandpa/grandma might not if they are in a bind or a little extra cash. The are many variables here....too many to list.

Sure, you will probably pick up someones dump more often but to me....it's the thrill of the hunt! Get them before they get to the Fed. That is just my opinion.

Little story - My friend took a little road trip last week and at one bank after asking for halves the teller (no halves available) mentioned there is a guy that stops there everyday checking to see if any halves have been turned in. This guy stops at every bank between his home and place of work...everyday!! If there is ever a stash turned in to any one of those banks.....he will get it.


LJ,

I agree with you completely in theory, but for me it is a cost benefit thing. I run my own business, so I don't have time to run to banks all over the place looking for coins. The bad economy has slowed down things a bit and I really have to focus on bringing in more clients to my firm. If I am successful in that the rewards will allow me to buy bullion at the coin store and come out way ahead that if I just CRHed.

I really CRH more for the thrill of finding the silver as opposed to the money value of it. Not that I don't like the fact though that I am getting silver for face value. But the amount I can make in a year if things go well is way greater than the monetary rewards of CRHing.

Jim

J4S - First, kudos for owning your own business.... :thumbsup:. Free enterprise....gotta love it. I agree with what you are saying about running around looking for silver.....gas prices, etc.....if I were in your shoes running my own business I would do the same as you....my hiney would be parked in that business.....lol....so I totally agree.

I also agree with the thrill of finding the silver.....not that I don't appreciate the monetary value because I do....but the thrill of the hunt is very exciting to me. Not to mention I have learned alot about coins from the folks in here along the way.....18 months ago if someone would have mentioned a Walker to me I would have thought they were talking about what the elderly folks use to get around with like Ed uses.....J/K Ed...couldn't help myself.

Good luck with your business J4S.

Ed - I apologize for your post going off in a different direction.
 
LJ,

I agree with you completely in theory, but for me it is a cost benefit thing. I run my own business, so I don't have time to run to banks all over the place looking for coins. The bad economy has slowed down things a bit and I really have to focus on bringing in more clients to my firm. If I am successful in that the rewards will allow me to buy bullion at the coin store and come out way ahead that if I just CRHed.

I really CRH more for the thrill of finding the silver as opposed to the money value of it. Not that I don't like the fact though that I am getting silver for face value. But the amount I can make in a year if things go well is way greater than the monetary rewards of CRHing.

Jim
[/quote]

J4S - First, kudos for owning your own business.... :thumbsup:. Free enterprise....gotta love it. I agree with what you are saying about running around looking for silver.....gas prices, etc.....if I were in your shoes running my own business I would do the same as you....my hiney would be parked in that business.....lol....so I totally agree.

I also agree with the thrill of finding the silver.....not that I don't appreciate the monetary value because I do....but the thrill of the hunt is very exciting to me. Not to mention I have learned alot about coins from the folks in here along the way.....18 months ago if someone would have mentioned a Walker to me I would have thought they were talking about what the elderly folks use to get around with like Ed uses.....J/K Ed...couldn't help myself.

Good luck with your business J4S.

Ed - I apologize for your post going off in a different direction.
[/quote]



Oh sure LJ insult me about using some bloody walker ... cuz you didnt know anything about coins but apologize about the post going in a different direction... OIC. j/k.. I will get ya back though ... the posts didnt go of base into outer space it like I mentioned about my favorite banks ... 3 nice grabs in a few weeks time out of one of them due to this area being extremely poor and getting worse because those that do work are mostly fisherman and are getting less for the product and are getting killed by fuel prices ...


We all suffer from the thrill of the chase imo and it all comes down to if you have the time go for it ... LJ you pick coins as a hobby but for a long while prolly turn a nifty profit from doing so . As far as myself I have had one hell of a time picking coins and it was a luxury because most of the time I would never had the time to do it and for Jim best of luck with your business and may it still afford you the time to give a silver fix now and then ....


Thanks Jim and LJ this turned out to kinda of a interesting post imo , Eddie Walker (Black label)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom