What's new

Pocket Coin Hunting or PCH

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
1,984
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always check my change that I get back from business. This morning I stopped by my usual haunt, Dunkin Donuts, for a cup of fresh brewed nirvana. Slipped the 98 cents in change right into the old pocket and left the store on the way to work.

All morning long I have been hearing a strange but familiar sound in my pocket where I keep my change. This pocket is also where I keep my car keys. Finally it got on my nerves enough to pull everything out of my pocket and see what was making
that racket.


Staring up at me was a 1964 quarter, first silver I have recieved in change in over six months and I didn't even do my normal scan before placing the change in my pocket. Had I noticed at the counter, I would have asked to buy all
the quarters in her cash drawer. Oh well, guess coffee was free this morning and I got to pocket a few extra dollars as well.

:hello2:
 
Upvote 0
That's awesome, Freedom. Funny you mention it but at the Dunkin Donuts up the street from me, I noticed a 1925 Buffalo in their tip cup. I did the ol' swap by exchanging a Jefferson for it. Even through in an extra dime because I felt a little guilty for doing so. :tongue3:

That same D&D's given me a couple old wheats in change, including a 1917 D. Funny what's still floating around out there.
 
That is awesome, Ive yet to get Silver in my change..I have better luck finding it in the reject trays

Makes me want to start using more cash

Cool Find!! :headbang:
 
Here is the little bugger right here....

index.php

and of course, nothing is complete without the tail.

index.php
 
Nice find! :icon_thumleft:

I haven't received any silver in my pocket change for about 30 years.
 
ArkieBassMan said:
Nice find! :icon_thumleft:

I haven't received any silver in my pocket change for about 30 years.

Besides this quarter, I received a 1963 rosie about six months ago if memory serves me correctly. Gettin old aint fun... :help:
 
I almost put a 1936 quarter in a vending machine last year. Not sure what store gave it to me in change. Last week I got a 52-D wheatie from my pharmacy/$ store

HH,
Legend
 
Ever since last January when I officially became "silver aware" I have always checked my pocket change. In those past 13 months I have received 3 silver quarters and I think 2 silver dimes in change from stores. Funny, before my silver enlightenment I always used to pay in exact change if I had it. Now I always pay in paper cash and look forward to searching the pocket change.
 
I run a cash register at work and move a lot of change, and I finally got a 64' washington this week. also this week my roomate asked me to grab a dollar out of her wallet to get her a soda.. a 1958 washington .. couldn't believe it I told her to hold on to it, surprised she has not lost it yet.. ;D

Its always funny when that happens.. nice find!
 
Nice find. :icon_thumright:
Great example of the saying "Luck's not random, it favours the prepared"
You knew what it was when you heard it, but before you even saw it.
 
skelly9131 said:
Now I always pay in paper cash and look forward to searching the pocket change.
Me too! Or sometimes, I'll try and pay the change with clad with quarters and dimes to get back the maximum number of pennies/nickels. I love getting coppers in change!

Happy pocket change hunting,
Legend
 
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
That is awesome, Ive yet to get Silver in my change..I have better luck finding it in the reject trays

Makes me want to start using more cash

Cool Find!! :headbang:

gotta agree , i regularly find silver in the reject tubes.
 
It doesn't hurt to be lucky! :icon_thumleft: Unfortunately that is one thing I am not. I remember the first - AND ONLY - silver coin I have ever gotten in my pocket change and it was a long time ago. My Dad got me into collecting as soon as I was old enough to read the dates on the coins, and I quickly learned what the "clink" of silver sounded like. I remember it well. We were at the drug store. I was checking out the comic books next to the counter and heard silver as a woman paid her bill. I quickly spotted the silver Rosie. I told my dad and he handed me a dollar bill, told me to buy a comic book, and ask for all dimes in change. Imagine that...buying a comic book with a dollar and getting multiple dimes in change! I believe the comic cost 25 cents. I did and snagged the 1964 Rosie. Thats the only silver coin I have ever received in my pocket change, and I had spotted it beforehand. I'm guessing that was around 1975.

Back in college I also worked a couple of different jobs over the course of about 2 years that had me running a cash register. I broke open hundreds - if not thousands - rolls of dimes, quarters, and nickels. I would find an occasional wheatie, but never found silver. The only silver I ever found running the register was when a man paid for a soda with a half dollar. It was a beat up '63 Ben. He looked at it funny before handing it over. I saw it before he did. ;D

I also check the reject tray at every coin counter I come across, be it in a bank, Wal-Mart, or wherever. Not only have I never found silver, I have never found a single coin. Not one.

Still looking though! :laughing9:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom