Pocket Knife

TerrieCox

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone provide any information on this pocket knife? Found while going through my father's things. Appears old. Silver, but tarnished. 2 blades, corkscrew, can opener, bottle opener and toothpick. Has sailboat and lion on one side and writing on the other. This knife is all possible how to Contrast and superior quality best Sterling knife. 20180424_151014.jpg 20180424_151005.jpg 20180424_150942.jpg 20180424_150934.jpg

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it actually says 'best steeling knife'. Steeling is a sharpening technique. I did some looking on the net and couldn't find an exact match but did find one nearly identical on the wording side but with different pictures on the other side. It is apparently from the 1930's. That's about all the information I could find. Hopefully someone here can provide more useful info for you.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found two references: The first from an Australian newspaper in 1938.

knife ad.JPG

The second from a 1934 book entitled: "Scrambles in Japan and Formosa". It's a book about mountain climbing. The author is apparently gifted a similar knife.

I saw a couple listed on auction sites as WWII souvenir/battlefield items from the Pacific. Was your father or grandfather in the Pacific theater in WWII? Possibly a bring-back?

Upvote 0

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a really cool knife. I don't have any info to add, as the above folks are doing a fantastic job of getting you what you need. Just dropping a line to let you know you have something really neat there.

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really cool knife! I don't have any info to add.

Very cool find!! I like stumbling across things like this when going through boxes.

I have seen similar type advertising knives that went on pocket watch chains. It looks a little bigger than what I've seen. But may be a possible direction to look into.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread