What's new

Pointed copper piece? Any ideas??

testing123

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,986
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Found this in a field with items ranging from the 1700s to today. It's about 2 1/2 inches long and the center has some rust on it. Any idea what it could be?
 

Attachments

  • MVC-001F.webp
    MVC-001F.webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 377
  • MVC-002F.webp
    MVC-002F.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 364
  • MVC-003F.webp
    MVC-003F.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 374
Agreed here, Tick-Tock..
Now we have matching bells and clockwork parts ;D
BTW, that is a modern cent for comparison, so they appear to be similar in size.
Great digs to you :hello2:
 

Attachments

  • nc finds 02-27 004.webp
    nc finds 02-27 004.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 316
  • nc finds 02-27 004.webp
    nc finds 02-27 004.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0
Angles are wrong for an escapement part. The angles involved are such that the catch and relese of the escapment wheel can happen. Does not seem to be there on the part shown.

This is most likely part of a latch to a lock or similar.
 
Upvote 0
Not sure what it is but if it was part of a watch or winch ratchet I would think it should have a hole in the center for it to pivot on. Just a thought. To me it looks like some type of old guage. Maybe to measure lumber thickness or something along that line.
 
Upvote 0
I dont know what it attached to, but the attachment point was in the center at the rust.
 
Upvote 0
I won't conjecture as to what it might be, because I've never seen anything like it. But I will say don't discard it until the mystery is solved. I've thrown too many things away only to find out later they were valuable.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom