Police warn of people scrubbing $1 bills, turning them into $100

Marino13

Sep 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I'm surprised she caught that. It looked pretty good. Damn thieves never give up do they?

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT DOESN'T HAVE THE 100 STRIPE, it would pass the pen test / paper test though

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrubbing / rubbing / or "balling up" the ink off a dollar bill is easy. This is possible because it's not made out of "paper" but rather linen. 15-20 years ago my late wife and I watched a program about counterfeiters. I noticed one of them was caught because of the "pen" procedure. I told her "gee all someone would have to do is take the ink off and just reprint the bill to get around that". She laughed and said that's impossible because it won't wash off or come off. 3 days later I showed her one and she couldn't believe it. So believe me if it's that easy I'm sure it's been done a lot. This person just got real greedy.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000aaa.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IT DOESN'T HAVE THE 100 STRIPE, it would pass the pen test / paper test though
The cashier asked the question, the woman that was trying to pass it off stated it was an old bill.

Screen Shot 2024-05-08 at 8.37.29 AM.png

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were seeing a lot of those 100 dollar bills they use as prop money in movies showin up around here over ski season and spring break. They look good but are plainly marked for motion picture use. They won't go through a self check-out but if you get an inexperienced cashier or one who is just crushed with customers you could pass them off. We didn't get stuck with any, but I think a few places did.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I wanted to see how easy it might be I was totally in disbelief that just some over the counter cleaners did the job easily. Now the linen after it dried with the residue embedded didn't feel the same as before. But a quick wash with the next load of laundry did the job. About 2 months after I was done playing around with that we got a visit from my cousin and his "know it all wife". His wife worked in "retail". My wife told her about what I had done and she said that's impossible. She said she could tell the difference between a real one and a fake one just by feel. So me being the ass I am told her to put her hands behind her back and tell me which one is fake. I put my "washed" one in one hand and another 1 dollar bill in the other. She said quickly there both real and you can't fool me... RIGHT..! Look at them I said. She was amazed then asked where did you get linen that matches this close. I again told her all I did was take the printing ink off a real bill. She went to car to get her "pen". It passed easily because it WAS REAL linen used in U.S. currency. If it wasn't for watching that stupid show about counterfeiters that thought would have never entered my mind. I just stopped after I discovered it is possible. Anything after that is way out of my pay grade. Apparently some / many folks can't. I can't believe we haven't heard about this happening more often then it is.

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I wanted to see how easy it might be I was totally in disbelief that just some over the counter cleaners did the job easily. Now the linen after it dried with the residue embedded didn't feel the same as before. But a quick wash with the next load of laundry did the job. About 2 months after I was done playing around with that we got a visit from my cousin and his "know it all wife". His wife worked in "retail". My wife told her about what I had done and she said that's impossible. She said she could tell the difference between a real one and a fake one just by feel. So me being the ass I am told her to put her hands behind her back and tell me which one is fake. I put my "washed" one in one hand and another 1 dollar bill in the other. She said quickly there both real and you can't fool me... RIGHT..! Look at them I said. She was amazed then asked where did you get linen that matches this close. I again told her all I did was take the printing ink off a real bill. She went to car to get her "pen". It passed easily because it WAS REAL linen used in U.S. currency. If it wasn't for watching that stupid show about counterfeiters that thought would have never entered my mind. I just stopped after I discovered it is possible. Anything after that is way out of my pay grade. Apparently some / many folks can't. I can't believe we haven't heard about this happening more often then it is.
I Have personally experienced the bleached bills and it first started four or five years ago. Originally it was the five dollar bills that were being bleached and changed and that is primarily what I have seen. I have seen many different counterfeit bills over the years and was allowed to keep one as a “specimen”, it was a $10 bill and it looked good, but the serial numbers were identical on all the bills used. The old $100's were a target for the longest time, but I have probably seen more counterfeit $20's than any other bill over the last eight to ten years. Lots of color photocopies on card stock people have tried to pass over the years too😵‍💫🤬

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Have personally experienced the bleached bills and it first started four or five years ago. Originally it was the five dollar bills that were being bleached and changed and that is primarily what I have seen. I have seen many different counterfeit bills over the years and was allowed to keep one as a “specimen”, it was a $10 bill and it looked good, but the serial numbers were identical on all the bills used. The old $100's were a target for the longest time, but I have probably seen more counterfeit $20's than any other bill over the last eight to ten years. Lots of color photocopies on card stock people have tried to pass over the years too😵‍💫🤬

"Bleached bills" meaning ink removed right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting