What's new

polishing up gold nuggets

IDdesertman

Full Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
179
Reaction score
211
Golden Thread
0
Location
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was wondering if any of you guys have shined up your gold nuggets that you have found, and if so, what methods you used? I usually like the more natural look and just clean them enough to get the grime off, but I wanted to polish some up so that they would be really shiny just for the fun of it.
 
Upvote 0
Bomb'm--cyanide/hydrogen peroxide--or tumble with walnut shells--ammonia soak--weak hydrochloric--salt/vinegar--window cleaner--best/easiest/safest is a good ol'ultrasound jewelry cleaner-I trust mine explicitely-Tons a au 2 u 2-john
 
I second the Ultrasonic, safe clean and gets the best natural look, if they are too polished collectors dont like them, if they are clean they bring a premium. If they are clean looking and still have mud on them they bring an even higher premium to the purist collectors.
Some nuggets of lower purity will not look so good polished, and take on a green hue to to silver in the nugget. Some will look too red due to copper. Some can be pale yellow, electrum. Looks terrible polished, depends on location. size etc.
If you have a large nugget and want to get top dollar for it some day, for gods sake dont carry it in your pocket, or polish it, or let it bang around with others. The more you treat it like a perfect rare coin, the higher you can ask and get. too much polish and beating, you will be lucky to get melt value, I have seen many fine specimens ruined because they were polished and had to be melted down. It can mean the difference from 2X to 5X spot to .75X spot
 
Okay here's a question for you all...

I have a nice 1/2 ounce nugget,will it bring a higher price if it has a 14k bail on it to hang for a necklace ???
 
:icon_sunny: Just like women/men--looks are everything--never waste your time putting lipstick on a pig!! :thumbsup: tons a au 2 u 2-John
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom