Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the shape of the stone I’d have my doubts but I’m not aware of any natural processes that would create a pattern like that. I’ve got some trade gun parts I’ve dug with a similar pattern. I’d say you have something but Other than maybe a pestal it doesn’t really fall into a traditional artifact category.

Upvote 0

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty neat. Sure looks man altered to me. I have seen a similar pattern on stone as well as pottery. I believe its an artifact.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sandrock

Aug 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not aware of any natural process that would make those markings either, they are on the top and bottom of the stone very distinct. Do you think a pestal would have marking like that on it?

Upvote 0

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not aware of any natural process that would make those markings either, they are on the top and bottom of the stone very distinct. Do you think a pestal would have marking like that on it?

No, I don't think a pestel would have markings on it like that. I'm just guessing it may a personal charm stone or shaman's stone.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Extremely interesting. I think you have an artefact, although not a tool. I believe what you have fits into what are collectively known as ‘cone stones’. It’s a grouping of enigmatic Native American artefacts that we don’t know too much about. Many archaeologists believe them to have been used for some kind of game of skill, chance or amusement; some believe them to be ritual objects.

Perhaps both things are true since although they’re all loosely termed as cone stones (by us, not by the people that made them), some are distinctly conical with steep sides plus a pointed top and some are domed, like yours. Everything in between too. Some squat and dumpy, some elongated. Some with a flat base and some concave. Some highly polished (usually made from hematite), some not. Engravings are rarely seen. In all probability, we are unjustifiably lumping them all together as a single artefact category when in reality the different types may have had different purposes which may also have varied by region. Certainly, they’re not common.

It has been proposed that the resemblance of shape to tipis/wigwams in some cases may not be coincidental, although it’s not a widely held view. Those found in Caddoan areas (which historically includes Louisiana of course) with a domed form are believed by some to be representations of or inspired by the ‘beehive’ huts constructed by these people. That still doesn’t tell us what function they had though.

Caddoan.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard! :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread