Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the shape of the stone Iā€™d have my doubts but Iā€™m not aware of any natural processes that would create a pattern like that. Iā€™ve got some trade gun parts Iā€™ve dug with a similar pattern. Iā€™d say you have something but Other than maybe a pestal it doesnā€™t really fall into a traditional artifact category.

Upvote 0

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty neat. Sure looks man altered to me. I have seen a similar pattern on stone as well as pottery. I believe its an artifact.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sandrock

Aug 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not aware of any natural process that would make those markings either, they are on the top and bottom of the stone very distinct. Do you think a pestal would have marking like that on it?

Upvote 0

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not aware of any natural process that would make those markings either, they are on the top and bottom of the stone very distinct. Do you think a pestal would have marking like that on it?

No, I don't think a pestel would have markings on it like that. I'm just guessing it may a personal charm stone or shaman's stone.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Extremely interesting. I think you have an artefact, although not a tool. I believe what you have fits into what are collectively known as ā€˜cone stonesā€™. Itā€™s a grouping of enigmatic Native American artefacts that we donā€™t know too much about. Many archaeologists believe them to have been used for some kind of game of skill, chance or amusement; some believe them to be ritual objects.

Perhaps both things are true since although theyā€™re all loosely termed as cone stones (by us, not by the people that made them), some are distinctly conical with steep sides plus a pointed top and some are domed, like yours. Everything in between too. Some squat and dumpy, some elongated. Some with a flat base and some concave. Some highly polished (usually made from hematite), some not. Engravings are rarely seen. In all probability, we are unjustifiably lumping them all together as a single artefact category when in reality the different types may have had different purposes which may also have varied by region. Certainly, theyā€™re not common.

It has been proposed that the resemblance of shape to tipis/wigwams in some cases may not be coincidental, although itā€™s not a widely held view. Those found in Caddoan areas (which historically includes Louisiana of course) with a domed form are believed by some to be representations of or inspired by the ā€˜beehiveā€™ huts constructed by these people. That still doesnā€™t tell us what function they had though.

Caddoan.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard! :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread