Possible artifacts found at farm need help identifying

UnEarther

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I found some strange looking rocks at my family's farm and I'm thinking they're artifacts. Some early archaic artifacts have been found here so I think these might be something. The large rock is a turtle scraper I think, feels perfect in the hand like someone made it that way. The Quartz one looks like a huge spearhead or something, just seems pretty strange since I'm pretty sure limestone is the native rock where the farm is (Caledonia/Hamilton Rural area). So if someone could help me with identifying what these are I would really appreciate that
Thank you

Large rock:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Quartz rock:
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, all natural rocks...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

UnEarther

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK thanks everyone. There's a creek that runs through the property and its very old. It's pretty narrow now but I think it used to be pretty large cause it connects to the grand river. There's been artifacts found on the corn fields beside it by some archeology company and they say it's an early archaic site. If someone could give me advice on the best places to hunt for artifacts would be that would be great. There's huge corn fields beside it that go uphill, a lot of land.

Upvote 0

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
' If someone could give me advice on the best places to hunt for artifacts would be that would be great. There's huge corn fields beside it that go uphill, a lot of land.'

You are in the right area, between a creek and a hill side. Check both sides, every where. You are in a nice spot.

Those that you showed are non worked rocks, but doesn't exclude that they were actually used at some time. Once you start finding some 'worked' material it will help you see the difference.

Keep on hunting!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

UnEarther

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would u suggest digging and sifting because I have a sifter, I could dig right next to the creek or on the hills. Or just walk through the plowed farm fields? Thanks for the help!
:)

Upvote 0

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would u suggest digging and sifting because I have a sifter, I could dig right next to the creek or on the hills. Or just walk through the plowed farm fields? Thanks for the help!
:)

I would start off with looking for pieces on the surface. That gives you better evidence that it was a campsite or work area. If you start seeing lots of worked pieces in a certain area then you should start sifting there.

Good luck, if you start finding stuff you will be hooked for ever.

Upvote 0

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's best to look when the fields have been cut up, and after a good rain.

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you really want to learn how to find arifacts I'd reccomend doing volunteer work on actual archiological dig sites. You won't get to keep any of that stuff, but you will learn what to do and where to do it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions