possible case or canister shot.

ITB5

Greenie
Jan 8, 2018
Tinton Falls NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Pro Pointer AT,Predator Tools Ranger 65,Lesche hand digger,Whites Digmaster Digger,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180108_113756.jpg

This is an iron ball that is 1 inch diameter and weighs 64.8 grams, I thought it might be a case or canister shot, but it seemed too small. does anybody know what it could be?

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ian, I'm sorry to have to tell you that iron balls which are 1-inch in diamrter or less are extremely difficult to correctly identify. Although there are several sizes of civil war case-shot (antipersonnel balls from inside an explosive shell) and Canister-ammo balls, there are also a great many Civilian-usage balls which ae the same size. Ball-bearings are just one example of Civil-usage small metal balls.

There is one civil war artillery ball which was exactly 1-inch in diameter... the case-shot balls inside a 6.4"-caliber ("100-pounder") yankee Parrott case-shot shell. But there are also a lot of 1.0"-diameter ball bearings, and etc.

I must mention, you seem to have measured that ball with the rust/dirt-encrustation still on it. The ball's actual original metal diameter underneath the encrustation is what you need to measure. Because case-shot balls and under-1-inch Canister-ammo balls are only worth a dollar or so, I put the encrusted ball on a concrete sidewalk and use a hammer to bash off the rust-encrustation, and then I measure the "naked metal" diameter. You don't have to bash off every bit of the rust-crust... just do two spots on exactly-opposite sides of the ball, then use a Digital Caliper to get a precise measurement of the ball's diameter.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread