What's new

✅ SOLVED Possible Civil War Enfield? Plus a couple other bullets.

Stef45

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2016
Messages
781
Reaction score
1,228
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was at a park that is decently old. Not sure exactly how old. Here are three different bullets the smaller one is modern I'm sure but what is it? Also two lead bullets. One looks like an enfield. Let me know y'all. Thanks!

Here is the small cal. IMG_2683.webpIMG_2681.webpIMG_2682.webp

Here is the mangled lead. IMG_2685.webpIMG_2684.webpIMG_2686.webp

Here is the possible CW bullet. IMG_2688.webpIMG_2689.webpIMG_2690.webpIMG_2691.webpIMG_2687.webp
 
last pic goes with the mangled lead. oops
 
Upvote 0
The third bullet is definitely a Confederate-manufactured .577 Enfield Minie-bullet. Second bullet is "probably" the same, but it's a bit too mangled to be sure whether it's an Enfield or some other type of Minie-bullet. Third bullet is a 20th Century copper-jacketed bullet, which has been fired. We need super-precise measurement of its diameter to ID its caliber, but laying on the ruler it looks like it might be a 9-millimeter caliber.
 
Upvote 0
The third bullet is definitely a Confederate-manufactured .577 Enfield Minie-bullet. Second bullet is "probably" the same, but it's a bit too mangled to be sure whether it's an Enfield or some other type of Minie-bullet. Third bullet is a 20th Century copper-jacketed bullet, which has been fired. We need super-precise measurement of its diameter to ID its caliber, but laying on the ruler it looks like it might be a 9-millimeter caliber.

Thank you Cannonball Guy! Pretty excited since this is my first CW bullet and maybe 2nd CW bullet!
 
Upvote 0
If I'd known it was your first civil war bullet, I would have included the following advice in my previous reply. Experienced civil war relic diggers have learned that where one UNFIRED civil war bullet is found, there is usually more of them nearby. And, perhaps, the Confederate soldier who dropped your first civil war bullet also dropped (or lost) some other items of military equipment... such as a (brass) uniform button or a gun-tool or bullet-worm (both of those are iron, so you might want to dig some iron signals too). I would detect the immediate vicinity super-closely, and dig every reading, because trash can "mask" deeper relics.

Of course, please make sure it's legal to metal-detect and dig relics in that park.
 
Upvote 0
If I'd known it was your first civil war bullet, I would have included the following advice in my previous reply. Experienced civil war relic diggers have learned that where one UNFIRED civil war bullet is found, there is usually more of them nearby. And, perhaps, the Confederate soldier who dropped your first civil war bullet also dropped (or lost) some other items of military equipment... such as a (brass) uniform button or a gun-tool or bullet-worm (both of those are iron, so you might want to dig some iron signals too). I would detect the immediate vicinity super-closely, and dig every reading, because trash can "mask" deeper relics.

Of course, please make sure it's legal to metal-detect and dig relics in that park.

For sure. I'm new but I am well read in the arts of Metal Detecting! lol Thanks for the advise!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom