✅ SOLVED Possible Civil War Enfield? Plus a couple other bullets.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was at a park that is decently old. Not sure exactly how old. Here are three different bullets the smaller one is modern I'm sure but what is it? Also two lead bullets. One looks like an enfield. Let me know y'all. Thanks!

Here is the small cal. IMG_2683.jpg IMG_2681.jpg IMG_2682.jpg

Here is the mangled lead. IMG_2685.jpg IMG_2684.jpg IMG_2686.jpg

Here is the possible CW bullet. IMG_2688.jpg IMG_2689.jpg IMG_2690.jpg IMG_2691.jpg IMG_2687.jpg

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last pic goes with the mangled lead. oops

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The third bullet is definitely a Confederate-manufactured .577 Enfield Minie-bullet. Second bullet is "probably" the same, but it's a bit too mangled to be sure whether it's an Enfield or some other type of Minie-bullet. Third bullet is a 20th Century copper-jacketed bullet, which has been fired. We need super-precise measurement of its diameter to ID its caliber, but laying on the ruler it looks like it might be a 9-millimeter caliber.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The third bullet is definitely a Confederate-manufactured .577 Enfield Minie-bullet. Second bullet is "probably" the same, but it's a bit too mangled to be sure whether it's an Enfield or some other type of Minie-bullet. Third bullet is a 20th Century copper-jacketed bullet, which has been fired. We need super-precise measurement of its diameter to ID its caliber, but laying on the ruler it looks like it might be a 9-millimeter caliber.

Thank you Cannonball Guy! Pretty excited since this is my first CW bullet and maybe 2nd CW bullet!

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I'd known it was your first civil war bullet, I would have included the following advice in my previous reply. Experienced civil war relic diggers have learned that where one UNFIRED civil war bullet is found, there is usually more of them nearby. And, perhaps, the Confederate soldier who dropped your first civil war bullet also dropped (or lost) some other items of military equipment... such as a (brass) uniform button or a gun-tool or bullet-worm (both of those are iron, so you might want to dig some iron signals too). I would detect the immediate vicinity super-closely, and dig every reading, because trash can "mask" deeper relics.

Of course, please make sure it's legal to metal-detect and dig relics in that park.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'd known it was your first civil war bullet, I would have included the following advice in my previous reply. Experienced civil war relic diggers have learned that where one UNFIRED civil war bullet is found, there is usually more of them nearby. And, perhaps, the Confederate soldier who dropped your first civil war bullet also dropped (or lost) some other items of military equipment... such as a (brass) uniform button or a gun-tool or bullet-worm (both of those are iron, so you might want to dig some iron signals too). I would detect the immediate vicinity super-closely, and dig every reading, because trash can "mask" deeper relics.

Of course, please make sure it's legal to metal-detect and dig relics in that park.

For sure. I'm new but I am well read in the arts of Metal Detecting! lol Thanks for the advise!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread