Possible Civil War Wedding Band Eyeballed Find, Marietta, GA

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Today, I decided to watch a metal detecting show featuring two really, really excited dudes that make up their own words. During the show, they find a civil war era brass wedding ring right here in Marietta, Georgia that was identical to a 'junk' ring I found while walking my dog behind my apartment! I was walking my dog (AKA Wesley AKA my horse) directly behind my building and found myself looking at the dirt, which I find myself compulsively doing all the time now. As I found myself examining the eroded soil from under the roots of a huge tree on the edge of a long but not very wide hill, I saw what looked like verdigris showing, and thinking it might be an old coin, out pops this ring! I washed it off at home and put a light coat of mineral oil on it. It fits my hand perfectly, so I am thinking a mens size 10-11. There are no markings on it, although some very slight filing? lines can be seen running the length of the inside of the band. One side of the ring seems filed? down also to dull the edge that contacts the webbing between the fingers, while the other edge remains almost too sharp. Is there any possibility that this could have been a Civil War soldier's wedding band? Either way, I was excited to find that my junk ring was potentially so old! Perhaps I should go back and detect that spot next- it was only 100 feet from where I found a blue glass trade bead on top of the ground as well!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
And said 'horse' with my beautiful wife of five years- both great treasure hunting buddies-

image.jpeg

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a ring very similar to that on an old pioneer wagon trail dating back to the 1880's. Mine is bent, and has 14k marked inside. Obviously it was plated and fooled some pioneer into thinking it was the real deal.

Your ring could be fairly old (1860's?, 1900?). I guess many people couldn't afford real solid gold wedding rings so plated seems popular.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever it is you need to sell it and buy a couch for your horse and wife :)

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like that ring you found, nice find. Found one like it last summer and had it cleaned by a jeweler which worked out, but the brass is of inconsistent quality so is showed some specks of darker inclusions. Only telling you this in case you are considering doing what i did. Mine is on tnet and a recent post if you want to see it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass ring & gold plated rings are very common here. The CW story for the TV is about as truthful as some of the assumptions that Time-Team make on their digs.
If you want to believe its CW Era there is a small chance, but your never going to prove it. Odds are against you.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you for your input- I figured as much with only a slight chance. I'm just happy to find it wasn't made yesterday! Btw- NICE finds Cru wow!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your input- I figured as much with only a slight chance. I'm just happy to find it wasn't made yesterday! Btw- NICE finds Cru wow!

Thanks.
It is very likely 19th C, so yes, not made yesterday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread