What's new

Possible Dime Error? (with pics)

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks back I posted a query about a possible dime error. According to one response, it sounded like a die clash error where the reverse image transfers to the obverse but it is backwards. Keep in mind that I gave only verbal information without pics.

I now have some pics--best I could do.

Comments?

Thank you,
apush :read2:
 

Attachments

  • DIME1.webp
    DIME1.webp
    100.4 KB · Views: 407
  • DIme2.webp
    DIme2.webp
    179 KB · Views: 407
  • dimeback.webp
    dimeback.webp
    128.7 KB · Views: 403
  • DIME1.webp
    DIME1.webp
    100.4 KB · Views: 400
  • DIme2.webp
    DIme2.webp
    179 KB · Views: 405
  • dimeback.webp
    dimeback.webp
    128.7 KB · Views: 406
  • DIme2.webp
    DIme2.webp
    179 KB · Views: 393
  • DIME1.webp
    DIME1.webp
    100.4 KB · Views: 398
  • dimeback.webp
    dimeback.webp
    128.7 KB · Views: 398
  • DIME1.webp
    DIME1.webp
    100.4 KB · Views: 398
  • DIme2.webp
    DIme2.webp
    179 KB · Views: 396
  • dimeback.webp
    dimeback.webp
    128.7 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0
Hard to tell with these pictures. I would say this is post mint from what I can tell. Usually done with a vice with two coins.
 
Yep, just my luck! It figures! LOL :laughing9:

But, would it not bleed thru on the reverse as well with the pressure? It has a faded area on the reverse opposite of the impression on the obverse. But, then, that tells you what a novice I am!

apush :read2:
 
apush

Have you considered taking it to a coin shop for another opinion?

You might find a good deal on a proof set for Mr. apush's birthday.
 
Mrs. apush, it is what I believe to be a VERY strong die clash. It's where the two dies hit each other without a planchet between them which causes some detail to transfer from one die to the other. Yours looks like it can bring quite a premium because some of the back is actually readable on the obverse. Get it checked out by a local dealer, it might make your day! :hello2:
 
thats a keeper in my book! it doesnt look like post mint damage to me...pretty sure its minting damage. good luck, and 2b sure i would get it checked by a dealer.
 
Apush, here is something that is helpful in seeing if this is a die clash. Like I said before it looks post mint and I say this because from your picture, the overlay doesnt seem to line up. The clash is from the dies hitting each other without a planchet which transfers the image of one die to the other. It should line up exactly how the overlay looks. If not, its not a die clash and has been done post-mint. Take a look for yourself and see.
 

Attachments

  • Rosey_clash_overlay[1].webp
    Rosey_clash_overlay[1].webp
    51.3 KB · Views: 287
After looking at it again I say vice job. i believe (guys,tell me if I'm wrong) the clash would be readable if showing on the coin. the lettering is backwards, show it was put in post mint. The clash should also be raised, which it appears not to be. Sorry.
HH
gilbert
 
enamel7 said:
i believe (guys,tell me if I'm wrong) the clash would be readable if showing on the coin.

Die clashes can be very small. I have a seated liberty half that has a die clash on the reverse under the right wing. It's a tiny die clash and nothing is discernible from it. I can't tell what is on the back that came through from the front. You are right that it should be the exact same thing showing on the front as it is on the back. I'm not sure if it would be inverted or not :icon_scratch:
 
Chances are it is a "fudge" but I will take it to a local coin shoppe in town just to see what they say. Never can hurt to take a looksie.

Let you know the outcome.

Thank you all for your time and efforts. I do appreciate it.

apush :read2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom