What's new

Possible French or Spanish Crossbow piece..?

Cheezie

Greenie
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in Arkansas in a creek, not iron.. reads +74, 75 on MXT 300... Brass? Eroded in a similar fashion as salt water area objects, which tells me it traveled north from gulf area maybe. Any ideas o wise ones of Treasure net.


Also show off my silver nugget finds....
 

Attachments

  • Spanish.webp
    Spanish.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 504
  • Nuggets.webp
    Nuggets.webp
    19 KB · Views: 487
Did a test drill, now believe it is lead, but very aged.. thinking musket ball pour that was never completed..


Measures less then 5 inches long..
 
Upvote 0
Silver said:
looks like a motorcycle clutch or brake handle
I agree it may be an old motorcycle clutch or brake handle. It looks like pot metal which erodes quickly. I used to break them all the time whenever the bike fell over.motorcycle brake.webp How does an item travel upstream?

Are you sure those are silver nuggets? Any reason silver nuggets would be in the creek? They could be melted aluminum chunks.. or even lead. I like your avatar, but its not that easy lol. :D
 
Upvote 0
Closer..?

It's weight suggests it's lead, and an atv could not access this very rough creek. Weighs 20 grams.


Look at the age obvious from indentures... this was in a salt environment at one point, carried north by an earlier explorer.
 

Attachments

  • close spanish.webp
    close spanish.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 454
Upvote 0
Cheezie said:
It's weight suggests it's lead, and an atv could not access this very rough creek. Weighs 20 grams.


Look at the age obvious from indentures... this was in a salt environment at one point, carried north by an earlier explorer.
hmmmm
 
Upvote 0
Maybe its lead...doesnt look like brass... I cant tell from the pic...but if it is lead, it would be easily bendable. Can you bend it? (carefully) I never saw a musket ball sprue that long. Maybe its horse related. :dontknow:

Another question would be, have you found anything (other than this) that is old in the area? I see in your profile, you are a historian. Do you think you have found an old campsite?

Another question...Why do you think the chunks of metal are silver? Have you tested them?

Do you have a pic of this crossbow piece? Do you think its bent or is that the natural shape of the item?
 
Upvote 0
Cant help if you dont respond.
 
Upvote 0
Rando said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Cant help if you dont respond.


uh huh....
And how does that make you FEEL?

Youknow, I can't help you if you don't TALK to me....
;D
LOL
 
Upvote 0
Rando said:
I think that could be harness piece, depending on size.
how big is it?
I couldn't remember what it was called, so i tried to google it.
Maybe a tack expert could say what that's called..

Just a warning, don't google "harness" and "ball" :o

Edit:The piece I am thinking of is called a "hame" or "hame ball"
I think you are refering to these. But I think they are hollow. I cant tell by Cheezies pic, its not the most clear. http://www.mydrafthorse.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=346
 
Upvote 0
It's not bendable, hame ball does look similar. it's 5 inchs, 20 grams, old but sturdy.
 
Upvote 0
Cheezie said:
It's not bendable, hame ball does look similar. it's 5 inchs, 20 grams, old but sturdy.
Ok thanks for responding.

What makes you think the other items are melted chunks of silver? Did you test them?
 
Upvote 0
ok Big C, it's certainly silver, it has the silver sound.. lol here's all my finds, picture enhanced. Fire away o Wise ones.
 

Attachments

  • all finds.webp
    all finds.webp
    47.3 KB · Views: 400
Upvote 0
Cheezie said:
ok Big C, it's certainly silver, it has the silver sound.. lol here's all my finds, picture enhanced. Fire away o Wise ones.
The reason Im asking is because it is very rare to find melted silver "nuggets." Even here on the Treasure Coast with all the shipwrecks, we rarely find melted silver pieces. They almost always turn out to be melted blobs of aluminum beer cans or lead solder. With all due respect, I dont believe you can tell by the sound. Please dont think I am giving you a hard time. Do you know how many times I have seen melted blobs and ragged metal pieces, such as what you posted, claiming to be silver? I have been fooled myself, when I first started finding them. Take it to any pawn shop to have it tested, then get back to us. ...or I can tell you how to make a test solution.

As far as your enhanced picture, it is blurry and of out of focus. I see what appears to be some "modern" bullets and cartridges. Certainly nothing to suspect Spanish explorers. The lead piece is interesting and I would like to see a better pic. Do you have a Macro lens on your camera? Look for the flower icon.macro.webp
 

Attachments

  • macro.webp
    macro.webp
    342 bytes · Views: 321
Upvote 0
Other opinions are welcome of course and I hope someone else will give their opinion on the metal pieces.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Other opinions are welcome of course and I hope someone else will give their opinion on the metal pieces.

I think the chain is silver. The other pieces hard to judge from pic, but doesn't have the same shine as the chain. Could they be lead or other metal alloys?
 
Upvote 0
I think I need new glasses 8)
Cheezie, if you are after serious help in identifying your finds, please provide some decent pics - and also please keep an open mind to other's suggestions until there is no doubt on the identification.
In my experience, it helps to keep an open mind while researching.

Regarding the lever looking thingy, I don't think it is a clutch or brake lever, the 'ball' seems too large in relation to the slimness of the immediate 'handle' part. :dontknow:

Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom