What's new

Possible gameball/grinding stone?

Z73A

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 13, 2017
Messages
6
Reaction score
21
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the world of artifacts. I've recently found my first arrowhead and have since been
Eager to learn and find more. I've found what I think could be a hardstone gameball or some type of grinding stone. I found this stone in a field in northern Ohio that produces a lot of arrow heads according to the landowner. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0433.webp

IMG_0434.webp

IMG_0460.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice!

cant see much on my phone, but you may be correct in that it could be a grinding stone. Doesn't look symmetrical enough for a game stone imho
 
Thanks Quito, I appreciate your input. I've been trying to research hardstones and I keep switching back and forth on what it might be. I've seen similar stones being called anything from gameballs, hammerstones, or even just glacial stones. Nevertheless I think it's a pretty cool find. Hopefully get some more opinions and maybe a definitive answer!
 
Quite often, the grinding stones will show some hammer use as well. It appears yours does too.

Unfortunately, many here will say it's natural, (and it could be) since there is no groove, notching, or polish.

I think you have an artifact though.
 
If there are peck marks on it, then its more likely a hammer stone used for roughing and pecking stone. the first stage in shaping hard stone and slate objects before polishing.
 
Looks like a really nice and well used Granite Peck Stone to me. This entire shelf is full of ones just like it. These were used to manufacture the Stone Tools like Axes, Pestles, Celts, etc.
 

Attachments

  • 2017-05-29 19.38.09.webp
    2017-05-29 19.38.09.webp
    41 KB · Views: 99
  • 2017-05-29 19.38.16.webp
    2017-05-29 19.38.16.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 96
That's quite the collection! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the info.
 
Hammer stone imo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom