Possible Good Book Bought At Auction

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to an auction this last Sunday and all I bought was a milk crate of books for $6.00. Out of date gun books, dollhouse books, depression glass book, Wisconsin engine repair book, and a couple other misc. antique childrens books were well worth the $6.00, but I bought the lot for just one book that was in the crate. Its a 1910 first printing of "HISTORY OF STEPHENSON COUNTY, ILLINOIS - ILLUSTRATED - VOLUME II. I can't find another original volume sold or for sale anywhere on the internet. Asking price for new paperback reprints runs around $80.00 to $100.00. Got my fingers crossed for a healthy profit on this book.

Attachments

• 106history.jpg
    106history.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 107history.jpg
    107history.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 108history.jpg
    108history.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 109history.jpg
    109history.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
F

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have absolutely no idea what its worth. I'll probably list it for a crazy price around $400 with make an offer. I hope to get at least $100. Unfortunately its only volume 2.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've messed with several books & condition is everything with the real collectors. I agree with digg you will do alright if the right buyer is found. I doubt $400 or anywhere near that but $125-$150 is quite likely. I would consider that book one of the items that has value however with a very low demand as it is a very specific book for a single county. Sure its rare but how many people in or from Stephenson County collect such books &/or who are willing to pay a premium for these books? Then take into account that a serious collector of such types of books might just have this book already. That's where "the right buyer' & condition comes into play as if your book is in better condition than one a serious collector already owns then they would probably buy yours if it were priced right. I would probably do either $199 or $249 BIN with best offer but I can't say it's not worth a shot to try $400 or best offer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread