What's new

Possible Grinding Bowl

fieldsjoe89

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2014
Messages
84
Reaction score
183
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500,White's VX3, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was given to my family from a friend who lived in North Carolina. I don't know much about it besides that. It definitely has the depth and looks like it has had wear from use. What do ya'll think? I thought I had lost it but just found it again today. Candle is for depth and size reference.

20180902_194040.webp20180902_194029.webp20180902_193944.webp20180902_193936.webp
 
Upvote 0
I'll take your word on the use wear,but it sure looks like a nice metate,bowl,grinding stone piece. Small and portable.
 
I wouldn't necessarily say use wear(not correct wordage on my behalf), but it looks old and not new. I've always liked the piece.
 
After blowing it up I would agree on it being one shows use wear.
 
I have a similar object and it was suggested as being a mortar that would be used to grind natural pigments, such as red ochre for paint. Others said it may just be a natural stone. I did find it where I do find genuine stone points. To me the material of which this rock and yours, does suggest to me it was chosen for its abrasive properties. Also I believe the lack of abrasion marks doesn't always mean it wasn't produced by the hand of man. Some minerals will actually dissolve away on their surface by moisture over many years removing all the original abrasion marks that will be barely noticed anymore.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20180903_073404749.webp
    IMG_20180903_073404749.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20180903_073355755.webp
    IMG_20180903_073355755.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom