What's new

Possible Lead Bullets?

black651

Full Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
247
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these lead objects pretty deep in a wooded area and wondered if they were in fact some kind of bullet? They both have the same ringed area near the base and a small dimple or shallow hole in the center of the bas as well. One appears to have hit something while the other may have been dropped. (If they are bullets that is - just putting it in for description's sake. I've been wrong pretty often so I don't want to make any jumps without evidence.)

They are both pretty near the same weight - around 32 grams and the longer one measures 1.25" long and both are a half inch wide at the base.

Any ideas on what they are?

Thanks for your help with this.
 

Attachments

  • possible bullets.webp
    possible bullets.webp
    131.8 KB · Views: 238
You did not provide any measurements of their diamter, so I can only say that they appear to bullets for the US Army .45-70 rifle, dating from the 1870s to about the World War One era. Particularly after the early-1900s adoption of the US .30-06 Springfiled rifle, the US Military sold off many thousands of the obsolete .45-70 rifles, as war-surplus, for Civilian use in hunting large game such as deer and bears.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
You did not provide any measurements of their diamter, so I can only say that they appear to bullets for the US Army .45-70 rifle,

Agreed, that's what they look to be, accurate measurements would help. I can tell you the one thats not mushroomed is also fired, there are rifling marks on it.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you both for the information. My dad wanted a better measurement as well and sent me a device and I took a couple photos with it.

Hope this helps..
 

Attachments

  • 0001measure 1.webp
    0001measure 1.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 0001measure 2.webp
    0001measure 2.webp
    94.9 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 0
Thanks for providing the precisly-accurate measurements. They confirm, it's a .US Army .45-70 (.45-caliber) Rifle bullet. The .45-70 Carbine bullet was a bit shorter than your bullet.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom