What's new

Possible lead projectile?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
19,212
Reaction score
12,627
Golden Thread
1
Location
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally I would just think camp lead but this appears to to have what looks like an impact mushroom look ..like it was fired. It also has little bits of iron in the middle. I placed a three ringer and quarter for size refrence. It is big and heavy. Anyone ever heard of any lead of this size flying? Was from a battle site near Chattanooga.
Thanks for any help.
HH
TnMtns

Opps here are the pics :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • 100_3197.webp
    100_3197.webp
    38 KB · Views: 387
  • 100_3199.webp
    100_3199.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 100_3200.webp
    100_3200.webp
    20 KB · Views: 393
It may be my computer but I dont think your picture uploaded. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Sorry about that I forgot the pictures !! :hello:
 
Upvote 0
RiverRat3 said:
It may be my computer but I dont think your picture uploaded. :thumbsup:

ok it was my computer. lol. Looks like a fired bullet with high impact. I have found a few like that. Soldiers would also flatten bullets to use as poker chips.
 
Upvote 0
RiverRat3 said:
RiverRat3 said:
It may be my computer but I dont think your picture uploaded. :thumbsup:

ok it was my computer. lol. Looks like a fired bullet with high impact. I have found a few like that. Soldiers would also flatten bullets to use as poker chips.

It is just way larger than any bullet I have ever seen. It does seem to be formed from impact though.
It was me River Rat. I forgot to load the pictures..
 
Upvote 0
traderoftreasure said:
could it have been a lid to something?

I am not sure. It is much heavier than a mason lid. It seem to have two lines in the lead. Am thinking it may have been part of a projectile though it looks like it has impact the way the lead formed. Might not be identifiable :dontknow: Thanks for looking.
 
Upvote 0
TnMountains said:
traderoftreasure said:
could it have been a lid to something?

I am not sure. It is much heavier than a mason lid. It seem to have two lines in the lead. Am thinking it may have been part of a projectile though it looks like it has impact the way the lead formed. Might not be identifiable :dontknow: Thanks for looking.

it wouldnt happen to be 2 lead bullets that hit and fused together would it?
 
Upvote 0
DevilDog812 said:
TnMountains said:
traderoftreasure said:
could it have been a lid to something?

I am not sure. It is much heavier than a mason lid. It seem to have two lines in the lead. Am thinking it may have been part of a projectile though it looks like it has impact the way the lead formed. Might not be identifiable :dontknow: Thanks for looking.

I wish but I do not think so. I might just pry it open and see what it looks like :laughing7:
it wouldnt happen to be 2 lead bullets that hit and fused together would it?
 
Upvote 0
It looks to me that you have a piece of an exploded lead sabot from a artillery shell.
 
Upvote 0
I am pretty sure the artillery shells were steel to produce more shrapnel. I don't think it's a projectile. Monty
 
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
It looks to me that you have a piece of an exploded lead sabot from a artillery shell.

Archer bolt, lead band sabot, Confederate rifle, 3 in.
Most Archers threw their lead sabot rings upon firing.

I think this may be a section of the lead ring. Thanks for all the leads. (Dirty mike)
http://www.relicman.com/artillery/zArchiveArtArcher.htm harry ridgeway (google civil war lead sabots)
Green check ?
 

Attachments

  • A1853C_small.webp
    A1853C_small.webp
    14 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
The square-bodied "ridge on the inside of the item does look like it would fit into the sabot-retaining groove on a civl war Archer or Hotchkiss shell. But, if it is a piece of the lead "band-sabot" from an artillery shell (such as an Archer, or a Hotchkiss), there ought to be rifling marks on the outside of it. (Rifling-marks are visible on the Archer band-sabot in the photo you posted, just above this reply.) But I can't see any rifling-marks in the photos of your lead object. If rifling-marks are there, please post some additional photos to show them. Lacking rifling-marks, I don't think it is from an artillery shell.
 
Upvote 0
Could it be Shot from a Canister Round ? That was larger than a bullet of that day .
 
Upvote 0
Well I do not think it is the whole ring as it probably flew off in several pieces.... I have seen enough fired lead to recognise impact and this appears to have that. I think I also would need to see another lead sabot ring to compare it to. :dontknow: This field produces many civil war bullets and horse and mule shoes :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom