??? Possible Over Wash 1715 Fleet Shipwreck Sites ???

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I do know and saw pictures of cannons and anchors being taken out of the ground when the original houses were built at Corrigan's. Before the condos. Plus heard that when they built the condos and pool, they found lots of stuff. If it was me, I would have searched every cubic inch for treasure. So either it washed up and over the dune, or the seashore was farther West. I am sure a lot of both happened all along the coast.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
That was my thoughts too for many years and I searched the backwoods when I was up there-but without success. Sadly, I missed when they cleared along Wabasso Road, on the west side of A1A. It appeared both prehistoric and historic back in there. I always wondered if anybody found any historic shipwreck evidence, at least something brought back in there by the natives. Many years ago, I hiked across a low plain and used a machette to clear a trail into a wild hammock located west of Round Island Park. Therein, I found crude iron stays, which appeared to be used for anchoring a mast securely. The iron pieces would be fastened through a horizontal breech block located on the outside of the hull. The other end would secure the line and eyeblocks to adjust and keep the line, which extended to the upper side of the mast, as taught as possible. Although probably nineteenth century, I left them in the woods and never returned to the site. In later years, it was cleared and a house built on hammock. I met the owner as they were near finishing the house and he allowed me to search again, but I never made it back there. I did learn that, as site was cleared for development, a northern Univ. did digs, discovering a prehistoric indian village site. I would love to see the Arch. report as many of these coastal Indians were adorned with coins and trinkets recovered from wreck site beaches. There is one other place I have been searching for quite some time, but cannot reveal it. If I find what I expect to find, you may read about it someday. Sorry to entice your curiousity, but that is the way it has to be.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I do know and saw pictures of cannons and anchors being taken out of the ground when the original houses were built at Corrigan's. Before the condos. Plus heard that when they built the condos and pool, they found lots of stuff. If it was me, I would have searched every cubic inch for treasure. So either it washed up and over the dune, or the seashore was farther West. I am sure a lot of both happened all along the coast.

Wanted to add ... I believe, from a reliable source, that an anchor and a grave was discovered when they cleared for the Disney Resort. I used to cross through there before the park accesses were established and I remember the old, midden along the beach. This midden was located just north of the current park access, and was just one of the few common access points through the palmettos in the old days. I believe the grave was found near to this. Also, down near Corrigan's, after I took club members there in the early 1980's (from South Florida); one of them found a small silver crucifix in the bluff just behind the beach.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

It is probably similar to what happens in south Florida. When hotels are built, every once in a while, a landlocked shipwreck is discovered. Some of these south Florida land sites have been found 100-200ft back of the surf line. However, in Sebastian, Wabasso area, the land is at a higher elevation where wreckage would not wash that far behind the beach. Then again, there are some low places up there too. These low places are worth looking into with deep detection equipment; as I have been doing. Some were old natural Inlets; or, more than likely--fresh water outlets from the river which only exist seasonal (after the rainy season).

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I remember going down A1A in the mid 60s through the 70s. Each shipwreck spot had a little parking spot worn, and a trail to the beach. When they really started building all that it is now, it was a shame. Then when they covered the beach 10 or so years ago, nails in the coffin. Never the same. I am sure with time, all that sand crap will move away, and things will get back to how it was. Sort of! I am sure there are lots of stuff along the coast behind the dunes.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a 1715 overwash site where many 1 pound silver wedges were found and there is possibly more.Also a friend found silver coins along a area near the jungle trail.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thomas P Terry's Treasure Atlas Vol#3.

"A mysterious chest lies in a swampy area between the Ocean and Indian River on the outer bank close to hwy A1A 8 miles S of Vero Beach. First sighted in 1907 it has appeared many times during the dry season but quicksand surrounds the site and all efforts to recover the chest ended in failure. I has last appeared in 1974."

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,
I have some long rope.we tie it to your ankles and you go in the quicksand with scuba on to get the chest and ill pull you out with my truck.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
John, let's make plans to do this at the next pirates meeting in Wabasso.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
During the last hurricane, a ships keel was sighted across the dune line near Normandy beach. Tommy Gore saw it, as did I. (some idiot desk jockey archaeologist at the state identified it as a "bridge timber, but that's another story). Not 1715, but wood.

Anyhow, here's the "whole truth". Through sheer serendipity, a heavy equipment operator on a project I was working on started talking to me about beach treasure hunting. He told me that, after the storm, he was on the beach and saw the 60+' timber on the beach. He took a piece of equipment out there and dragged the timber across the dune line! Same dam keel Mr. gore and I saw. I went on the beach and saw ALL the rest of the keel pieces, including curved stem pieces. I salvaged on piece, and mother nature recovered the rest. Unfortunately, since the friggin' state bozo screwed up his identification of the keel, it has been lost forever, probably went to the dump.

Yes, I'm pretty bitter. These armchair maroons think they are Gods gift to the salvage world, but they appear not to have enough sense to pour "it" outa a boot with the instructions on the heel.

BTW, the ship was the "America", which, ironically is on the state master list of historic sites.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill, you are correct about that wreck being the America. I remember you relating that story once before. Fisheye has a similar story about the New Smyrna beach wreck that got bulldozed and taken to the county dump. Sad. SLC wrecks.jpg

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Back in the 80's stationed at Patrick AFB I found a few of Mels sites by Book. LOL remember Books (BI) Before InterNet?

I took three of my buddies to one and between them they found 11 Reales.

I found None.

Do you think they would have given me one for the Trip?

Yea right.

Lesson Learned that day.

SOUTHEAST FLORIDA SITES:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its interesting how some historic shipwrecks on the florida master site list end up at the Dump.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Its funny how they can just drag it to the dump, but if you take something off it before they took it to the dump,still in the water, they would throw the book at you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread