What's new

Possible Spanish Silver Cross found in Corpus Christi

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
6,108
Reaction score
3,817
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I posted this in "What is it" a few days ago...Because I had no idea what the hell it was..lol



http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/470256-ornate-piece-found-corpus-christi-gulf.html


But I thought i would throw it in here.


Went to Corpus with my buddy Jcobb to do some surf hunting and take a break from the 100+ temps here in North Texas.

Found what we thought was a piece to a buckle or something, didnt really think much about it and just threw it in the pouch.

It was pretty much solid black and had sand that turned to concrete on it.

Anyhooo, I was looking at it when I got home and swore I saw Jesus on it with 2 angels on each side.

I could tell it was something old but was still clueless as to what it really was.

After a few days in the What is it Section, I was given some really good advice on how to clean it.

To my amazement, after only 20 or so minutes, it came out GLEAMING of silver and i was able to see it a little better.

So, here are some pics on the different stages and the cleaning methods.

I'm hoping this is the real deal, because on that trip, my ATP PRO fried and I used my buddies ATP as a back up...which ended up dying the next day after 4 hours or so of using


Sorry for the pics being out of order, I tried a few times to upload them in order and its throwing them in there this way

Never thought I could kill 2 AT-Pros in 2 days....but I did
 

Attachments

  • Before Cleaning.webp
    Before Cleaning.webp
    226.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Before Cleaning Back.webp
    Before Cleaning Back.webp
    128.7 KB · Views: 280
  • Cooking.webp
    Cooking.webp
    389.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Hole.webp
    Hole.webp
    576.4 KB · Views: 303
  • Front 1.webp
    Front 1.webp
    217.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Back.webp
    Back.webp
    220.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1947.webp
    IMG_1947.webp
    182.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1951.webp
    IMG_1951.webp
    547.4 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Upvote 24
That's an awesome piece of silver! It appears to have been in the sand a long time.... I hope someone here can give an I.d.
 
Looking at the link about the Cross of Caravaca convinced me beyond any doubt that you have found a representation of it ,
putting a time period on your actual piece is challenging to say the least - I've done crucible pour castings into crude hand carved
impression molds - (pouring molten silver into a two part stone or clay mold )
This is a technology that dates back thousands of years - which is why it's problematic to assign a date with any certainty -
I think it could well be 18th c.
 
ID SAY CROSS MYSELF . FOR I SEE THE ANGELS AND THE CROSS AND SILVER TO TOP IT OFF . WHAT A NEAT FIND .
 
Why so excited???
 
Looks like it could be one of the older ones, that's awesome! Nice silver relic find! Be neat if it was one of the ones that actually contained wood from the Cross!

There has been a lot of detectors failures lately :icon_scratch: what in heck is going on? Cosmic gamma rays or something? Your like the 3 or 4 th person it has happened to. Weird!
 
Last edited:
That's wild looking
 
Yeah what is up with all the AT Pro failures lately ? I've noticed several people reporting that in the last week .
 
Cru , I'm guessing the possibility of finding a Spanish Colonial / or Early Mexican Silver religious item would be exciting to more
than a few of us - especially those of us who have lived major portions of our lives in areas steeped in the history and culture
of Native Americans , Spanish , Anglo Europeans (others ?) I'm in no way intending to lecture you ( or anybody else) about
history or culture - just trying to explain why the O.P. and others may be excited about this find .
 
Very cool find! You can see it was poorly cast or at least made with older simpler techniques. I'd say pretty old!
 
Nice it is very worn. I miss Corpus Christi and Port aransas . Wish I had of hunted treasure there.
 
Why so excited???

Well, we cant ALL have 21 banner finds :laughing7:

Really thou, considering my oldest find before this was an 1889 IH Penny.....I was pretty excited that this could be pretty old (In my book)
 
We have a lot fewer extremely old coins and relics here, so anything older than I am exciting! :laughing7:
 
It's a really nice relic! Congrats on the find. Any markings on it of any kind or is it too worn from being it the sand? It came out great after the cleaning.
 
Well, we cant ALL have 21 banner finds :laughing7:

Really thou, considering my oldest find before this was an 1889 IH Penny.....I was pretty excited that this could be pretty old (In my book)

That's a great find!

I think Crusader was addressing "sutphin" with his "Why so excited" post due to sutphin have a tendency to use ALL CAPS when posting...which in the land of the INTERWEBS denotes excitement and raising one's voice...
 
That's a great find!

I think Crusader was addressing "sutphin" with his "Why so excited" post due to sutphin have a tendency to use ALL CAPS when posting...which in the land of the INTERWEBS denotes excitement and raising one's voice...

haha..Ok, that makes sense..I know Cru has never really came off like that before..but I have had people criticize what they think "OLD" is...its definitely not a 1600's French Coin thou! :notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom