Post Canteen Token was worth the paddle !

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first hunt in over a month I think ?? It has been awhile as I have been out on injured reserve again. :unhappysmiley: It is a 50 min paddle in my Kayak to get to this spot ! My first time hunting it today . I am not the only one who has paddled out here so this is not a virgin site . There is quite a bit of ground to cover however in what looks like was a small neighborhood or farm of 5 or 6 small buildings . some are just dug holes , 3 are stoned lined but small and they are spread out a bit . Not as old as I had hoped for as it turned out . Yet I still ended up with a keeper. The first hole I sniffed around was just an unlined dugout . . Yet it produced almost all the finds . Three Indians an 1879, 1886, and 1888. I also found the Token in this area and the Swallow pin ? I wandered more than I should have but found what looks like another small out building hole . I will be going back ! The Fort PREBLE ME. 5 cent Post Canteen token might be kinda rare ? The Maine State Museum has a copper 1 cent token listed from Fort Preble . I found another 1 cent Fort Preble Token that sold on ebay awhile and did quite well. There is also a 10 cent token listed from the forties I believe it was star shaped . I have yet to be able to find a 5 cent Fort Preble token listed anywhere ?? Help with this one ?? I am thinking the token dates right with the Indians I found . Post Civil War but Pre WWI . Thanks for looking and Happy Treasure hunting to all !

Attachments

• IMG_0063-001.JPG
    IMG_0063-001.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0067-001.JPG
    IMG_0067-001.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0069-001.JPG
    IMG_0069-001.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0068-001.JPG
    IMG_0068-001.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 7

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! Cunningham's Military Tokens of the United States shows three varieties of the 1¢, what appears to be the same 5¢ type as yours, two 10¢ varieties, and a 25¢ one. You might consider posting pics of yours to tokencatalog.com
John in the Great 208

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the token! Super finds there, MR. :) Good luck on the return...
Nana

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Cunningham's Military Tokens of the United States shows three varieties of the 1¢, what appears to be the same 5¢ type as yours, two 10¢ varieties, and a 25¢ one. You might consider posting pics of yours to tokencatalog.com
John in the Great 208
Thanks for the Info on the Token Idaho :occasion14: So it is a listed military Token . Did Cunninghams give a date range or rarity value on the 5 cent Token ?? MR.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Cunningham does not give dates for these tokens. He does ascribe a $75 value to them. Remember that catalog values for tokens are only estimates and condition is a factor.
John
Thanks for the Info on the Token Idaho :occasion14: So it is a listed military Token . Did Cunninghams give a date range or rarity value on the 5 cent Token ?? MR.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread